A-Mac

Alabama Rig!

If they hadn't set their price on a bait that costs about $1 to build at over $25 maybe their sales would be a lot better. It seems to me that they are going to need a major price reduction to keep up with sales in any kind of volume.

Looks like it has turned into a huge amount of negative attention for the Alabama Rig. BassEast is covering the trademark and copyright controversy now : http://basseastblog.com/?p=3131

I initially came out in defense of the A-Rig folks in protecting their investment. And still feel that if their claims of having a copywright and patent are true then they are justified to protect what they see as theirs. However, the way they are going about it is disgusting and ridiculous. They seem to think that acting like school yard bullies is the proper way to do business. If I ever decide to fish an Alabama Rig you can bet your last plugged nickel it won't be purchased from them. I will build it myself and I hope they see this statement and contact me. That way I can tell them in person to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Seeing as how Mann's Tackle has either purchased the manufacturing rights to the lure, or contracted to build them, I can't believe they haven't stepped in and told the Poss family to "cease and desist". Their present behavior will, in the end, do nothing but hurt sales and that will end up costing Mann's.

Ben

I think the z-man chatterbait is patented too. However, I have an In-Fisherman book titled "Bass" that has a picture of the freaking lure. The book was published in 1986 and they talk about the lure like it was from the 70s. Point being, you can patent anything if you have the $... even if it was already invented.

As for the @-rig, I was in favor of the "little guy" making it and I can understand them wanting to protect their name. But really, they need to attack the companies that ARE stealing the rig for significant financial gain. Heck, I recall Tackle Warehouse have one that was boasting about Paul Elias victory with the @-rig on the same freakin' page that they were selling the knock off. But I guess attacking people (aka the consumer) that are FANS of their lure seems to be easier. BTW, I'm patenting the universal lure as of right now. It has every action known and to be known to man and is made from everything, some things, and/or absolutely nothing all at the same time. It has immeasurable dimensions and the ability to get around every loophole in any fishing regulation. I call it, the MASTER-BAIT-------r! (TM!)

• Like 1