A-Mac

Alabama Rig!

I guess that rules out the 3 treble rapalas and husky jerks that are sold in every tackle shop in Indiana. Doggone it, the 3 hook husky jerk rocked too.

I also think that since TAR had a hard body attached it was considered 1 lure, kinda like sticking a trailer on a jig or a spinnerbait. Does this mean trailer hooks are now going to be banned?

It's definitely going to cause some reg issues. As far as the ethics of the rig, tourney fisherman (including myself) hook/land fish and throw them in a livewell for sometimes 8 or more hours. I've seen several comments about the stress it puts on fish on other forums, but they all seem to forget about 2-3hr runs across places like Lake Erie and the stress that puts on fish. The only reason why I see banning this is if more angling mortality occurs as a result. Of course, winters just around the corner and people will forget about this rig for awhile.

Either way, I'm making one for myself so that I can have a more appropriate judgement of the lure.... i'm sure i'll feel real bad if I get 5 keepers on one cast :D

That's part of the problem, though, is that the way that it is phrased is vague. It says 2 single or multi-barb hooks OR two artificial lures OR two live bait rigs. If you read it literally, it is saying you cannot have more than two hooks (single or treble) tied directly to your line, OR more than two artificial lures, not specifying how many hooks are allowed per artificial, so according to the letter of the law, the three hook rapalas are legal because they are one artificial lure. Also, a trailer hook on a spinnerbait would still be one lure, or at most two if the trailer hook has a soft plastic threaded on it (this is conjecture, I don't know how Indiana DNR interprets a trailer hook).

The AL rig issue is that even if you used attractor lures with no hooks, you would still be using more than two "artificial lures", so you would be in violation of the regulation.

Why not just Incorporate the lures in to the wires them selves. Have the hooks actually be part of the bait and not an attachment that can be swapped. Whether someone just twists 5 hooks on 5 lines or pour 5 resin baits on 5 lines or what. With the connections being terminal then with my reasoning it should be one bait and not 5 attached with swivels. One bait 5 hooks still less than most crank baits.

In Tennessee you are now allowed to use the lure with ANY SIZE hooks as long as only 3 baits actually have hooks. The other two can have the baits/blades/etc... as long as no hook is present. I go started with mine the other night. I am not good with any type of wire tying and do not even have the material. I took rebard metal ties and folded several in half and drilled out an egg weight. I used a wire leader (like a catfish or toothy fish leader) as my main line going up thru the middle with the tie in the front. Since I'm in Tennesse and can't use all 5 wires for baits, I think I am going to connect a swivel with a replaceable spinnerbait blade on the middle main line as an attractant, and hopefully to auto correct itself in the water.

I know the wire will rust the first day out, but i'll be out about a dollar and a couple minutes of my life to figure it out and see if I want to spend more time and effort in it.

BTW, i'm glad to be on the site. I've watched and learned for several months. I just got into painting lures so I know I'll learn much more on the site!

If you read what Paul Elias said on flw, he said he never caught fish on the top baits anyways. So why not take two big size 5 or size 6 willow blades on the top two and put swimbaits or whatever you want on the other three? I think that would add some flash and make the contraption useful even in slightly stained water.

I talked to a C.O. in District 4 in IN. the other day about this bait. After a decent conversation he said he would call me back after he reviewed exactly how the law was written. I explained to him the theroy of only having 2 of the baits on the back having hooks and the other 3 not having any hooks. He called me back a while later and he told me that as far as he was concerned he would not see it as a violation as long as there were only 2 hooked baits. Now, that being said, he alos told me to be sure and talk to other C.O. in the different districts to make sure how they felt about it and not just take his word for it. At that point I called the state and asked the same question, and was referred back to the local C.O. office.

I do like the ideas that everyone is coming up with as far as the use, applications, modifications of this bait. Great minds here.

Pretty much useless in Indiana: "Each line may have no more than two single or multi-barbed hooks, two artificial baits or two harnesses for live bait." Regs only allow two artificial lures per pole and I guarantee DNR would consider each attached bait an individual lure probably even if the other lures didn't have hooks and were just used as attractors like the striper guys do with their umbrella rigs.

not so useless if the other two arms had willow leaf blades on them ?it would be like pulling two spinnerbaits?

as i see it its a money bait where legal to catch alot of fish (bass) fast(the more fish the faster the weight in the livewell gos up) using one for anything bigger then about 6lbs the fish will tear it apart or rip off fighting each other then you both lose as you lose fish and the fish may die from

ripping off the hooks or breaking your line with the rig attached),the rig has been around a long time umbrella rigs are used to fish in the ocean alot for everything from tuna to striped bass

but the rigs used there only use one bait with a hook in it the rest are teasers to get the fish interested in the bait with the hook becouse you would have no chance with more then one fish of there size(think of two or more 40 lb tuna on one rig????)so use is up to the user 1 hook or 5 what more fun to you???

haha... there's some rig on ebay that looks like a Styrofoam bobber attached to 5 leaders, and others that have 1.5oz lead fronts... all called alabama rigs, or carolina or texas or coosa or tennesse or a combination of all these rigs... dip :censored:s.

Found this today concerning Tennessee law on the rig.

http://news.tn.gov/node/7994

According to the law only three lures may be attached with or without hooks.

Vic, Thanks again for this info. If I read it right mine will be legal. My son-in-law is taking it for a workout tomorrow on Ft Loudon. I have another one on the dryer right now. Will post a pic wnen I get it off the wheel.

John

Your welcome John

Just trying to keep my fellow Tennesseans out of trouble. It would be something called an Alabama rig to get me into trouble with water police. My friends would never let me forget it.

Ft Loudon, your close. I live in Alcoa and am a Walland native.

Look forward to seeing your lure.

Vic

Made of 3/4 inch PVC Trim Board, 1/8oz weight in belly, foiled with aluminum duct tape, colored with sharpies, cleared with D2T, .035 spring temper stainless wires, 2/0 Gamakatsu wide gap, 3in. Kalins Grubs. Total Weight 1.17 0z.

John

TnBamaRig001.jpg

TnBamaRig002.jpg

Edited by JBlaze

Made of 3/4 inch PVC Trim Board, 1/8oz weight in belly, foiled with aluminum duct tape, colored with sharpies, cleared with D2T, .035 spring temper stainless wires, 2/0 Gamakatsu wide gap, 3in. Kalins Grubs. Total Weight 1.17 0z.

John

TnBamaRig001.jpg

TnBamaRig002.jpg

looks good how did you attach your wires inside your bait

Juice780 on the body end of the wire, I did a hay wire twist then flattened the round eye drilled three holes just slightly larger than the twisted wire A snug fit. and pushed them in about 1½ inches secured with super glue. think of it as a long hook hanger that has been installed backward. I can't pull them out so I don't think a couple of fish could either.

Hope this helps John

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

Tn Bama Rig03.jpg

post-14659-0-59811700-1319917946_thumb.jpg