SpoRoller

Epoxy and Rattle Traps

I have tried to repaint some Rattle Traps and have a problem coating them with devcon. There is nothing to hold on to while brushing the epoxy on nor are the hook hangers large enough for my clips on the turning wheel to get a solid grip. Is there something I can use to spray the epoxy on? I have heard something about automotive clear coat being used out of an airbrush.

I am a new guy on the block here and have learned several nice tips that have reduced the learning curve. Just wanted to say thanks to y'all!

One more thing, how do you get that nice thin coat on jerkbaits (hughsey)? Is it brushed on Devcon or something sprayed?

I might be a rookie at this but that idea is brilliant! Right now I use a styrofoam disk with 6 alligator clips, attached to small dowels, as my drying wheel. I can see where using that handle would work a lot better. Sometimes the alligator clips don't get a good grip on the bait and you have to really work at keeping them on. Not fun when they are already coated with devcon!

I foresee a second drying wheel being made just for rattle traps, baby 1 minus', and other smaller baits.

SpoRoller, I too made a drying wheel with the wooden dowels and alligator clips, and yes you are right, they do not have a good grip for the lures. I moved up to the Exacto Knife Handles. They work great... but NOW.... It makes it tuff to dry on my drying wheel. SO... what I did is I went to the local Home Depot and in the tool corral they have these small yellow holding clamps. The item # is 035794626228. If I can recall they are like .49 cents apiece. Two of them will hold the knife handle onto the drying wheels wooden dowell perfectly. I USE 3 for security purposes! Check it out. Cody

Terry got the wheels turning in my head and I came up with an idea. Have a piece of aluminum cut into a wheel and then drilled/tapped to hold the handles. Of course you have to tap the handles so they can screw into the wheel. Then all you have to do is attach the wheel!

It does make it easy that I am in the Army and can get the machine work done cheaply!

Guest Anonymous

Fellers! Hey!

When I developed this method of holding baits, I designed my drying wheel with blind nuts 90 degrees to the handle. I stick the handle in the hole, tighten a 7/16 screw on the blade and it holds as soft or hard as you want until dry...

Chip

Yep, I did get that off Chip and those exacto handles work great.

I Also built a drying wheel from a tutorial from this site.

dwheel.jpg

It works GREAT!!! I have 2 wheels on it now, but can add 2 more if I need them. Total cost was under $25 total.

The pegs are PCV pipe, and lures like the Rattle Traps I tape the exacto knife handle to the peg...no muss no fuss.

Hi Guys, A while back, someone posted a pic of what they use to hold baits with through wire hangers. I have tried it and it works. You use the same 3/8" wood dowl that many of us use with a nail, but instead of the nail a length of light weight coat hanger wire is used. Attach 8" of wire to the end of your dowl. After the epoxy holding the wire in place dries, bend the wire in the shape of a C. At the top of the C make a small hook to accept the tail hanger of the bait.Attach a small screw to the side of the dowl about 1/2" from the end where you glued the wire in place. Take another small peice of wire and bend a loop at one end and attach it to the dowl with the screw., then bend a small hook in the other end to attach to the other end of your bait. The tenwion of the bend in your C shape wire will hold the bait straight and secure. Joe