• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 capt mike

capt mike

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:25 PM

I searched for info on this topic and was overwhelmed with info. I am looking for the right combination for a lure turner that will accomodate jointed swimbaits up to 10-inches. Maybe 4-6 baits at a time. Plan to use e tex or D2T.

What size motor, rpms. Where do I buy it? What size axle, dowels and wheel. Maybe some photos of one and how the swimbaits fit on it.

#2 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,779 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:43 PM

Look at my gallery. I think it's page 7.
I used a ferris wheel design, with a BBQ rotisserie spit and two plywood discs. The rotisserie motor is 1 rpm, and is plenty strong, as long as I load the wheels evenly. If I want to turn just one bait, I mount a similar sized bait directly opposite.
By using the adjustable meat holders that came with the BBQ kit to hold the plywood discs, I am able to adjust the spacing of the two discs to accomodate up to 18" baits, although I've never build one over 12".

#3 A-Mac

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 710 posts
Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

i still use a rotisserie motor and mount the parts to separate clips. I sometimes have to double up with clips on larger parts. You can do several large swimbaits at a time as long as you keep the turner balanced. If you don't have the turner balanced, you are just hurting your motor. I have my motor mounted to a 2x4 frame with a dowel attached. I am using 1/2" pvc piping as a bushing on the opposite end of the dowel from the motor. So far so good, I've been using the same motor for 5 years. Heck, I even used it on a bass guitar that I painted and cleared for someone. I used FamoWood epoxy coating for tabletops on the guitar and it cures very similar to E-tex... which means it needed to turn for a very long time. Nevertheless, it turned it nice once I got everything balanced.
As you can see in the pics, I actually had to add more support to the rods.
So yeah, I don't think you will have any trouble with swimbaits!