capt mike

Lure Turner For Big Swimbaits

I searched for info on this topic and was overwhelmed with info. I am looking for the right combination for a lure turner that will accomodate jointed swimbaits up to 10-inches. Maybe 4-6 baits at a time. Plan to use e tex or D2T.

What size motor, rpms. Where do I buy it? What size axle, dowels and wheel. Maybe some photos of one and how the swimbaits fit on it.

Thanks

Look at my gallery. I think it's page 7.

I used a ferris wheel design, with a BBQ rotisserie spit and two plywood discs. The rotisserie motor is 1 rpm, and is plenty strong, as long as I load the wheels evenly. If I want to turn just one bait, I mount a similar sized bait directly opposite.

By using the adjustable meat holders that came with the BBQ kit to hold the plywood discs, I am able to adjust the spacing of the two discs to accomodate up to 18" baits, although I've never build one over 12".

i still use a rotisserie motor and mount the parts to separate clips. I sometimes have to double up with clips on larger parts. You can do several large swimbaits at a time as long as you keep the turner balanced. If you don't have the turner balanced, you are just hurting your motor. I have my motor mounted to a 2x4 frame with a dowel attached. I am using 1/2" pvc piping as a bushing on the opposite end of the dowel from the motor. So far so good, I've been using the same motor for 5 years. Heck, I even used it on a bass guitar that I painted and cleared for someone. I used FamoWood epoxy coating for tabletops on the guitar and it cures very similar to E-tex... which means it needed to turn for a very long time. Nevertheless, it turned it nice once I got everything balanced.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/amcalexa/262201_10100664435527808_13713245_61085131_1890148_n.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/amcalexa/269132_10100664436081698_13713245_61085150_2163333_n.jpg

As you can see in the pics, I actually had to add more support to the rods.

So yeah, I don't think you will have any trouble with swimbaits!