markinorf

Foil Paper

Been a member for a few months here and I gotta say that the knowledge pool is deeep. I dont know if anyone has tried Jonestones foil paper, but if not, its cheap and looks great. I use Loctite 200 spray adhesive ( 2 minute cure ), since the vendor glue is too slow (1 hr). It's easiest to apply to a generally flat sided plug, but once you get the hang of it, round profiles and curves can be done nicely too. I do both sides of a sealed (bare) wooden plug at the same time. I handle it carefully (fingerprints), until the first coat of D2T goes on. Then I can prime and paint the back and belly colors. Another coat of D2T, and there ya go. Instant holo foil insert! I make inshore stuff for specks and reds. Subsurface walkers like Catch 5's. The selection of colors and patterens is excellent. I looked for similar products, only to find that JT was the only one, so....

TU-Great site...

Edited by markinorf

Been a member for a few months here and I gotta say that the knowledge pool is deeep. I dont know if anyone has tried Jonestones foil paper, but if not, its cheap and looks great. I use Loctite 200 spray adhesive ( 2 minute cure ), since the vendor glue is too slow (1 hr). It's easiest to apply to a generally flat sided plug, but once you get the hang of it, round profiles and curves can be done nicely too. I do both sides of a sealed (bare) wooden plug at the same time. I handle it carefully (fingerprints), until the first coat of D2T goes on. Then I can prime and paint the back and belly colors. Another coat of D2T, and there ya go. Instant holo foil insert! I make inshore stuff for specks and reds. Subsurface walkers like Catch 5's. The selection of colors and patterens is excellent. I looked for similar products, only to find that JT was the only one, so....

TU-Great site...

You "make" Catch 5 KO outta wood? Or, do you mean you foil originals? I'd definitely like to see 'em if they're wood.

Yes, from scratch. Im gonna make a few this weekend and I will take pics for the entire process, including the foil app. Ive only made written notes up til now. Thanks for the interest in these. I'll have pics by midweek. It takes me a few days to make em. My version has 2 brass lined rattle chambers with 8mm ball bearings. Much louder than the Mlure. Lots of construction steps to record, but simple to make.

Edited by markinorf

Yes, from scratch. Im gonna make a few this weekend and I will take pics for the entire process, including the foil app. Ive only made written notes up til now. Thanks for the interest in these. I'll have pics by midweek. It takes me a few days to make em. My version has 2 brass lined rattle chambers with 8mm ball bearings. Much louder than the Mlure. Lots of construction steps to record, but simple to make.

Can't wait, Mark.

nice lookin lures! i've got some of the martha stewart foil, but haven't used it yet. I agree though, the adhesive that was recommended for it takes a long time, and its not very tacky. I'm trying spray adhesive right now. I got it for the purpose of putting a red foil gill on, but issues I've ran into with this are the following:

A. The spray adhesive doesn't exactly shoot through a stencil like an airbrush.

B. The foil seems to not come off the clear plastic its attached to as crisp as you would want (so the "gill" isn't perfect like a painted stenciled gill)

C. It ruins your stencils! Even if you do wipe it down.

However, I have not tried to do a whole lure yet. Perhaps I was just trying to do a little finer detail than what the product is capable of. Daggone false advertising! It's like buying a cheeseburger and expecting it to look like the picture when you get it.

nice lookin lures! i've got some of the martha stewart foil, but haven't used it yet. I agree though, the adhesive that was recommended for it takes a long time, and its not very tacky. I'm trying spray adhesive right now. I got it for the purpose of putting a red foil gill on, but issues I've ran into with this are the following:

A. The spray adhesive doesn't exactly shoot through a stencil like an airbrush.

B. The foil seems to not come off the clear plastic its attached to as crisp as you would want (so the "gill" isn't perfect like a painted stenciled gill)

C. It ruins your stencils! Even if you do wipe it down.

However, I have not tried to do a whole lure yet. Perhaps I was just trying to do a little finer detail than what the product is capable of. Daggone false advertising! It's like buying a cheeseburger and expecting it to look like the picture when you get it.

I have done fine details with the Jonestones, but it aint easy! You have to use their glue and apply it with a paintbrush on a full moon (preferrably a tuesday), and wait like 2 months. I guess after years of doing various paint schemes, Ive learned to be an impressionist, rather than a realist. If that means puttin a gill on with a Sharpie, so be it!

As far as doing a whole lure with the foil paper, it only takes a few practice runs with some srap wood to get something that you will really like. And so will the pigs in the lake. You can just smash that stuff on a lure, layer over layer, and it looks great. Seal it up with epoxy, paint, seal again, and bend down the barbs on the hooks!

Oh yeah-- I use Loctite 200. 3 or 4 good passes, wait a coupla minutes and rub on the foil. I can get over 90% coverage on the first pull. I dont worry about the areas that will be painted. Look for my Catch 5 build soon, on this thread.

Edited by markinorf

I have done fine details with the Jonestones, but it aint easy! You have to use their glue and apply it with a paintbrush on a full moon (preferrably a tuesday), and wait like 2 months. I guess after years of doing various paint schemes, Ive learned to be an impressionist, rather than a realist. If that means puttin a gill on with a Sharpie, so be it!

As far as doing a whole lure with the foil paper, it only takes a few practice runs with some srap wood to get something that you will really like. And so will the pigs in the lake. You can just smash that stuff on a lure, layer over layer, and it looks great. Seal it up with epoxy, paint, seal again, and bend down the barbs on the hooks!

Oh yeah-- I use Loctite 200. 3 or 4 good passes, wait a coupla minutes and rub on the foil. I can get over 90% coverage on the first pull. I dont worry about the areas that will be painted. Look for my Catch 5 build soon, on this thread.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt its benefits... its just sitting collecting sawdust until an idea sparks. it was just too cool to pass up, total impulse buy.

I checked out the photobucket shots you put up. Lots of TLC going into those hardbaits. Now I feel even worse for letting that 8 lb+ trout swim away with one. I'll take some pics of your lures in action and post 'em with my next entry. Great job on the lures, they swim as good as they look.

A fellow coastal fisherman here. That's great stuff. You have several innovations in your work that no one has shown before. I appreciate the time you put into the tutorial.

I did a big bass swimbait with foil a few months back and the foil failed. I was using 3m spray adhesive and household foil. I think the spray adhesive was a little too old. I would like to try the Locktite. Where did you get that foil? I 've been loosing my mind trying to find some kind of prism foil for my skipjack baits.

I'm working on some mullet baits with foil tape for specks and reds. Been a lot of fun trying to show them something different.

A fellow coastal fisherman here. That's great stuff. You have several innovations in your work that no one has shown before. I appreciate the time you put into the tutorial.

I did a big bass swimbait with foil a few months back and the foil failed. I was using 3m spray adhesive and household foil. I think the spray adhesive was a little too old. I would like to try the Locktite. Where did you get that foil? I 've been loosing my mind trying to find some kind of prism foil for my skipjack baits.

I'm working on some mullet baits with foil tape for specks and reds. Been a lot of fun trying to show them something different.

Thanx for the Kudos Capt Mike,

The foil is Jonestones.com. They seem to have the only product with Holo styles, and their selection of hues and patterns is super. I spray the Loctite pretty heavy (4-5passes),since some of it soaks into the wood grain, even though its sealed. I'll wait about 2 minutes and lay one side of the foil on the table, pick up that side with the bait, and put the other side on; holding the plug by a srew eye in a dowel. The hardest part is to not get the adhesive on your fingertips and not smudging the foil afterwards. I put the Devcon on it immediatley afterwards. The epoxy will "roll" rite over the excess glue without picking it up on the brush. The customer rep at JT told me they are dicontinung the gold "laser cut" style (like in the pics). Dang. The Gold Holo rain is just as nice, and they aslo have an unfaceted gold, wich I have used, and like. The big plus to all this is the foil is anly about a thousandth" thick, and makes short work to the whole thing of foiling a fairly flat sided plug. I just finishes some Catch 2000 KO Gator Traps that I will feed them tomorrow!

M

P.S. I dont mind showing the tutorial. I've learned tons on this site and I usually give away my stuff. Hope someone makes one of these and lands a trophy! I have.

Edited by markinorf

Thanx for the Kudos Capt Mike,

The foil is Jonestones.com. They seem to have the only product with Holo styles, and their selection of hues and patterns is super. I spray the Loctite pretty heavy (4-5passes),since some of it soaks into the wood grain, even though its sealed. I'll wait about 2 minutes and lay one side of the foil on the table, pick up that side with the bait, and put the other side on; holding the plug by a srew eye in a dowel. The hardest part is to not get the adhesive on your fingertips and not smudging the foil afterwards. I put the Devcon on it immediatley afterwards. The epoxy will "roll" rite over the excess glue without picking it up on the brush. The customer rep at JT told me they are dicontinung the gold "laser cut" style (like in the pics). Dang. The Gold Holo rain is just as nice, and they aslo have an unfaceted gold, wich I have used, and like. The big plus to all this is the foil is anly about a thousandth" thick, and makes short work to the whole thing of foiling a fairly flat sided plug. I just finishes some Catch 2000 KO Gator Traps that I will feed them tomorrow!

M

P.S. I dont mind showing the tutorial. I've learned tons on this site and I usually give away my stuff. Hope someone makes one of these and lands a trophy! I have.

I read up on the Jonestones foil. So let me see if I understand. If I paint some adhesive in a pattern or a line on my bait and then lay the foil over it, when i peel the sheet of foil off the bait, the foil material will remain stuck to the adhesive?

Thats rite Mike. You rub it firmly with your finger and snatch it off. Ive done some of this kinda detail. Takes patients and practice with the JT glue. Missed spots/errors are redone in the same way. I'll bet that some other type of adhesive (that I havent tried) will work faster and better. The JT glue is too slow to cure.

I tried some the other day on one of my lures. I had a terrible time getting it to stick. I first used elmers extra strength spray adhesive, then I tried 3M spray 77, then the JT glue. I got frustrated and gave up for now. The bait I tried it on didn't have any flat sides. It seemed the foil was really stuck to the plastic backer. The stuff looks awesome and I sure would like to figure how to use it. I'm tempted to get some of the loctite stuff your using but don't see how it could be that different to what I have.?

I bought some last week and have tried 5 or 6 lure. My first attempt was to do the whole lure on a curved balsa bait. And it would not work. I have found that the foil really sticks best to regular foil. So I just stick cheapo foil to the bait first then attatch the JT foil on top of foil. I am using loctite spray but it also worked with 5 min epoxy spead super thin. This is a crappy pic of one I did

Nice baits guys....

I have only attempted one bait so far with the Jone's Tone's foil... I was quite impressed by the finish for a first attempt. I used ADOS F2 adhesive, no issues with it.

Ados.jpg

PauaPenE.jpg

I added Mackerel stripes over the top, but it went on well.

PauaPen1-1.jpg

PauaPen1.jpg

This photo has no epoxy over the foil, so it looks duller than what it is.

I still prefer aluminum foil on my baits though...

Edited by ReelAppealLures
  • Like 1