markinorf

Foil Paper

Thanx for the pics guys. Everybody has their own preferences, and I appreciate the variety of finishes I see here on this site. My goal was to find something holographic that was ultra thin. It does look super when you put the final clearcoat on em! Nedyarb- I've tried to do compound curves and the like. It gets more difficult for sure. If you just do smaller sections; it will work. It just doesnt have the seamless appearance that a flat sided or cylindrically shaped plug will have. The spray adhesive is the only way to go for covering a large area. I think the porous balsa wood was the issue for you. Put a clearcoat on it first and sand it smooth, then try it. Ive noticed that a near flawless-smooth (320grit) finish works best. I sand my plugs (basswood/AYC) to a butter smooth finish before spraying the glue. Hope that helps. Good huntin..

I tried some the other day on one of my lures. I had a terrible time getting it to stick. I first used elmers extra strength spray adhesive, then I tried 3M spray 77, then the JT glue. I got frustrated and gave up for now. The bait I tried it on didn't have any flat sides. It seemed the foil was really stuck to the plastic backer. The stuff looks awesome and I sure would like to figure how to use it. I'm tempted to get some of the loctite stuff your using but don't see how it could be that different to what I have.?

I had the same problems, then I noticed that the foil was lifting rite off easily when the Loctite cured a little. It gets a tenacious hold and cant help but come off the backing. I dont know about the 3M, but the Loctite 200 works. Make sure your working surface isnt too pourous. This can cause low spots that the foil wont lay in. I use 320 grit paper over the bare sealed wood. I havent tried it on balsa, but Im absolutley positive that I would hardcoat it first. Hope that helps....good huntin. M

I think you are right Mark. I tried again last night and noticed the problem was the surface wasn't very smooth. The lure was made from PVC which I usually have to dip and sand 3 times in lacquer primer to get it smooth. On this one I had stripped the finish off which roughed up the surface. I'll give it a few more tries before I hand it off to my daughter to play with. Awesome lures by the way guys!

I used Elmers spray glue to foil some baits. I had a minor setback with the finish, so, I had to remove the foil. I tried lacquer thinner, acetone and xylene with no success. Had to literally scrape it off with an x-acto knife.

Hey Saltshaker, I did about 10 practice pieces bfore I started to get the hang of it. I ditched the vendor glue early on, in favor of the Loctite. A smoooth hard surface is very important.I didnt try a "finished" lure blank until after I got the scrap pieces right. I liked this product so much that I didnt mind "wasting" most of the first roll. I also didnt sweat the minor imperfections when I started doing the real ones. The specks didnt care either....

Hope that helps.

M