Jump to content
31 replies to this topic
Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:41 PM
I bought some last week and have tried 5 or 6 lure. My first attempt was to do the whole lure on a curved balsa bait. And it would not work. I have found that the foil really sticks best to regular foil. So I just stick cheapo foil to the bait first then attatch the JT foil on top of foil. I am using loctite spray but it also worked with 5 min epoxy spead super thin. This is a crappy pic of one I did
Posted 09 November 2011 - 04:46 PM
Obviously that is a flat sided bait, which is a lot easier. On the round ones, I just cut the JT foil quite a bit smaller so it does not wrinkle as much.
Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:18 AM
Nice baits guys....
I have only attempted one bait so far with the Jone's Tone's foil... I was quite impressed by the finish for a first attempt. I used ADOS F2 adhesive, no issues with it.
I added Mackerel stripes over the top, but it went on well.
This photo has no epoxy over the foil, so it looks duller than what it is.
I still prefer aluminum foil on my baits though...
Edited by ReelAppealLures, 10 November 2011 - 03:19 AM.
Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:37 PM
Thanx for the pics guys. Everybody has their own preferences, and I appreciate the variety of finishes I see here on this site. My goal was to find something holographic that was ultra thin. It does look super when you put the final clearcoat on em! Nedyarb- I've tried to do compound curves and the like. It gets more difficult for sure. If you just do smaller sections; it will work. It just doesnt have the seamless appearance that a flat sided or cylindrically shaped plug will have. The spray adhesive is the only way to go for covering a large area. I think the porous balsa wood was the issue for you. Put a clearcoat on it first and sand it smooth, then try it. Ive noticed that a near flawless-smooth (320grit) finish works best. I sand my plugs (basswood/AYC) to a butter smooth finish before spraying the glue. Hope that helps. Good huntin..
Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:52 PM
I had the same problems, then I noticed that the foil was lifting rite off easily when the Loctite cured a little. It gets a tenacious hold and cant help but come off the backing. I dont know about the 3M, but the Loctite 200 works. Make sure your working surface isnt too pourous. This can cause low spots that the foil wont lay in. I use 320 grit paper over the bare sealed wood. I havent tried it on balsa, but Im absolutley positive that I would hardcoat it first. Hope that helps....good huntin. M
Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:26 PM
I used Elmers spray glue to foil some baits. I had a minor setback with the finish, so, I had to remove the foil. I tried lacquer thinner, acetone and xylene with no success. Had to literally scrape it off with an x-acto knife.
Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:13 AM
I think you are right Mark. I tried again last night and noticed the problem was the surface wasn't very smooth. The lure was made from PVC which I usually have to dip and sand 3 times in lacquer primer to get it smooth. On this one I had stripped the finish off which roughed up the surface. I'll give it a few more tries before I hand it off to my daughter to play with. Awesome lures by the way guys!
Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:43 PM
Nice crankbaits Nedyarb. It does take some practice to get it right.
Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:14 PM
Hey Saltshaker, I did about 10 practice pieces bfore I started to get the hang of it. I ditched the vendor glue early on, in favor of the Loctite. A smoooth hard surface is very important.I didnt try a "finished" lure blank until after I got the scrap pieces right. I liked this product so much that I didnt mind "wasting" most of the first roll. I also didnt sweat the minor imperfections when I started doing the real ones. The specks didnt care either....
Hope that helps.