jwest

Newbie Needing Help

1st off welcome. There are many ways to do paints and repaints without it getting too crazy. You can try permanent markers, Hobby paints, fingernail polish and spray cans. I started off many many moons ago painting old baits from my throwdowns (used baits in the bottom of my box), with nail polish, and top coating with clear "hard as nails" nail polish. Funny thing is, about 10 years down the road my fishing partner pulled some of my repaints out of his box, (All beat to hell) and asked me to repaint the lures the same way.... Said "When all else failed he would put one of these on to finish out his limit..." I looked at those baits and the way I paint now and wondered... "What the heck was I thinking?!?" I saved those baits on a shelf and painted him up some new ones with today's styles.

Back to your Question...

"THE BASICS"

1. Scuff your baits up with some 320-400 grit sandpaper or strip them.

2. Base coat them, most use a white, opaque white, or bright white.

3. paint them up with whatever your decide to start off with.

4. Top coat with a good hard clear coat.

There's tons of info on here and some outstanding lure builders/makers/painters on this site. Use the search feature on the upper right corner of the page. Type in just about anything and the results should answer mostly any questions.

Once again welcome,

and Tight Lines, bb

Let me/us know how ole Sam is doing... ie any grass back yet, any good fish being caught... Have not been out there in 2 years at least and its about time to go...

If you have any fond memories of big catches at Rayburn I would suggest you don't go. It will just depress you. The lake has gone seriously down hill in the last few years. What little grass was left around the edges of the upper lake is surely out of water now. Last I heard the lake is over 13 feet low and still dropping. There are still a few good limits weighed in at tournaments, but not like in years past. It used to take over 20 lbs. just to get a check. Those days are but a memory.

Ben

If you have any fond memories of big catches at Rayburn I would suggest you don't go. It will just depress you. The lake has gone seriously down hill in the last few years. What little grass was left around the edges of the upper lake is surely out of water now. Last I heard the lake is over 13 feet low and still dropping. There are still a few good limits weighed in at tournaments, but not like in years past. It used to take over 20 lbs. just to get a check. Those days are but a memory.

Ben

Yeah I know... Pitiful isn't it. We don't get some rain soon we'll be in some serious trouble. Travis was almost 53.5 feet low at 10 this am. We seein' rocks that haven't been seen since the lake was dammed...

Funniest thing ever, there's lakefront owner's (well sposed to be lakefront) that have put up signs out in what would be the middle of the river saying " NO TRESPASSING" and my favorite "NO SCAVENGING". Yup leave that trash alone, its all MINE!!! Gotta love those millionaires...