retrobass

Cheapest Powder Paint

Hi all,

I'm a newb to the forum who has been lurking a bit. I'm wanting to put some of my old fly tying skills and materials to good use by making a few hair jigs. I've ordered this mold http://www.barlowstackle.com/Do-It-Ball-Weedless-Jig-Molds-P253C56.aspx

And some mustad hooks for 1/8 and 1/4 jigs. From lurking around on the forms I've gathered that pretty much everybody is using powder paint. Looks like its about 7 bucks a bottle at cabelas, are there cheaper places to get it? Has anybody tried regular rustoleum with a coat of D2T?

cheers,

Jimbo

Hi all,

I'm a newb to the forum who has been lurking a bit. I'm wanting to put some of my old fly tying skills and materials to good use by making a few hair jigs. I've ordered this mold http://www.barlowsta...ds-P253C56.aspx

And some mustad hooks for 1/8 and 1/4 jigs. From lurking around on the forms I've gathered that pretty much everybody is using powder paint. Looks like its about 7 bucks a bottle at cabelas, are there cheaper places to get it? Has anybody tried regular rustoleum with a coat of D2T?

cheers,

Jimbo

Save yourself some money... I make every jig I throw, haven't bought one in two years. I learned from a friend of mine to go to Wal-Mart and get the Acrylic Craft Paint. They have all colors. Plus you can mix them and make what you want. I've made a great brown mix I'm quite proud of. I put three coats of white and three coats of the color of choice, then finish it off with clear finger nail polish. It stands up well to my rocky home waters. You will get more mileage out of this paint. The downside is I do it with a brush, which takes time. Hope this helps.

The pro-tec powder is pretty expensive but you can get different brands, check out columbia coatings for exotic colors, for regular base colors you can use the harbor freight powder, lots of options. I will give pro-tec credit though, because it may be a small bottle that seems expensive, it will actually do about 600 to 800 jigs in the 1/8oz size no problem and if you use a fluid bed you will get even more so it ends up being cheaper in the long run.

UPDATE!!

I just tried a run of black stamina powder paint from Lure Parts Online.

I dont know what the problem was.. I heated the head as would any jig and this stuff just bubbled as if it were too hot. When I shortned the heating time it wouldnt stick, I ruined a few jigs before i dumped the powder in the garbage and went back to Pro-Tec.

I've started to by it from Powder By the Pound, they are on the internet, thei prices are good and their service is very good. In a couple of weeks I'll be trying it on new jigs I'm pouring.

Rodney

I've used a couple of their RAL colors and they work very well, at 11 to 13 dollars a pound I don't think you can do better and their service is very good.

Rodney

All the info above is good, so do some research on the web. I know Pro-Tec is good quality powder however it is expensive. I use some of their colors, as many places do not have the color selection that Pro-Tec does. However, they are not the only place out there. For your standard colors white, black, blue, red, etc.... you can get these colors for around $10/ lb and they are just as good as Pro-Tec. Let's face it guys there isn't just a powder paint for painting lead jigs. It is a commercial powder paint that everyone in the industry uses for other powder paint applications. So don't be afraid to try other companies, the prices are usually a lot cheaper in price and more affordable.

Edited by cadman

If you are doing jigs just for yourself, a pound of powder paint will last for many, many, years. ;) I have yet to empty any of my protec bottles, or other small quantities I've purchased from others. I do use a homemade fluid bed for most colors.

Cadman has some unique colors that you may be interested in. You won't find them in protec.

I have used Columbia by the lb. good price. With a little practice you will be able to paint close to 100 an hr. without paint in the hook eye. Here is the secret for a really tough finish. Forget what the manufacturer suggests for baking time and temp. Bake for a minimum of 1& 1/2 hrs to 2& 1/2 hrs at 400 degrees. You will be amazed at the durability of the finish. Liquid paints are to time consuming, have odors, and the finish is inferior.

-Paul

Cardinal Paints. www.cardinalpaint.com They supply for industrial applications so you have to buy in bulk 5 pound quantities but they have the best price/ quality I can find. If you talk to the rep he may let you break up your order. I worked out a deal with my rep and for roughly $100.00 I have more paint & colors than I can work through in a couple of years. Their paints actually seem to perform better than the pro tec. They seem to be finer and have a lower melting point. They also call out shorter cure times. I air brush my powder and these paints work the best in my badger. The paint is actually so fine that standard dipping actually makes the coat too thick. Colors are limited to standard colors (no candy or flake) but their hammer tones are outstanding and the absolute toughest paints I can find. I'm thinking about using those exclusively on my flipping and football jigs. They also have a white silver vein hammer tone that resembles a fish scales when applied correctly. They also have many colors not in their catalog so you have to ask.

• Like 1