axman9

Bubbles In My Paint....

I'm new to all this. I use the vinyl jig and lure paint from Component Systems.....great products....but I can't seem to get the bubbles out of the paint....which...drive me nutz as they transfer to the lures (I make lead lures for striper fishing).

Any ideas? Are you supposed to stir the paint and wait an hour for all the suspended air to come out???

Thanks....frustrated in Ft. Worth!

You can try this, its an old wood workers trick. Get a paper or plastic cup, cut or drill a 1/8 or 3/16" hole in the cup. Mix your paint, holding the cup at least a foot above another cup pour your paint into the cup with the hole. Depending on the thickness of your paint you may need to raise the cup with the hole higher. What you will be doing is called the bombs away technique. What is happening is when the paint goes through the hole it forces some of the bubbles to the surface. Then as the stream of paint leaves the cup through the hole you will see it getting thinner in between the cups. As the stream gets thinner it is forcing the bubbles in the paint out making them quite literally pop between cups. You will need to experiment with the hole size and the space between the cups, depending on the viscosity/thickness of your paint. You can also try thinning the paint which will help a lot.

• Like 1

Thanks again. I contacted Component Systems. They told me to insert the stir stick in a downwards motion, stir and while stirring bring the stir stick upwards as I stir. Then let the paint sit a bit.

I powder paint all my sassy shad, coho, dead sticking heads, etc. but for slabs and spoons ( 2 to 4 ounces), I have found that dipping them is SO much easier......and I can dip 12 at a time......

I'll try all the methods suggested as I'll be painting a couple hundred soon.

I have been using CSI paint for years for Slabs. I switched from the vinyl to the water based 2 years ago and I would never go back to vinyl. If you use the Seal Coat for your clear coat it is plastic resistant and it also adds a lot of luster and it is pretty tough. One word of caution, if you use any adhesive tape for patterns top with clear water base before putting the Seal Coat on.