FLASH

Tassie Timber Trout Lures

Hi guys , love this site . Im hooked on making my own trout lures down here in Tassie and make them from scratch to the water . I used to use huon pine but since finding some King Billy pine in the bush ive been using that .I cut ti size with a hand saw ,shape with a rasp then file and sand till im happy with the shape .Various shapes and sizes . Cut a belly slot and bib slot with a fret saw then bend and twist some ss mig wire and glue in place . Then a bib is cut from some polycarbonate sheet and trail fitted and test swim . If a balast is needed ill then cut a thin strip of copper sheet and insert it into the wire slot at the fore end of the lure. Trial swim again till im happy .Dry fore a few hours in the sun or by the weed heater .Next ill Dip it in some automotive primer and alow to dry before wet sanding and painting with a few rattle cans of diferent colours . Glue the bib in and trial swim in the stock trough again then leave to cure . My biggest issue is with the paint and the clear coats as i dont have a hobbie spray gun . Next is i use a clear coat enamel rattle can and find it gets knoked around a bit and wears alot when a fish smashes the lure .Here are some ive done recently.SDC11088.JPGSDC11052.JPG

SDC11088.JPG

SDC11052.JPG

SDC11088.JPG

SDC11052.JPG

SDC11088.JPG

SDC11052.JPG

SDC11088.JPG

SDC11052.JPG

SDC11088.JPG

SDC11052.JPG

SDC11088.JPG

SDC11052.JPG

SDC11088.JPG

SDC11052.JPG

post-27585-0-59040200-1320524114_thumb.jpg

post-27585-0-13212400-1320524228_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TU Flash. Nice looking trout you have there. As well as the baits. A lot of guys use a two part epoxy for their top coats with great success. And all you need to apply it is a small brush. If you decide to try it just be sure to get the 30 minute variety as the 5 minute epoxies don't give you enough working time to get them on the lure and they aren't waterproof. At least not the ones we have here in the states.

To read up on some of this just type D2T (Devcon 2 ton) into the search engine in the top right hand corner of each page. You'll get more info than you'll want to read in one sitting.

good luck,

Ben

Thanks guys .im learning every time i visit this site . Those lures do the job but ive been working on some longer coloured baits lately . 90 millimeters and the finish is a little better . There is not many home bakers around this part of the world . My mate does a pretty good job on his as well . His are balsa though . look forward to reading more and learning more .

Cheers FLASH

Nice Fish and lures. I like the on the water testing style, beats guessing and reworking a lure. Like Ben said " A lot of guys use a two part epoxy for their top coats with great success", the only thing I might add Is the wood sealing, I use a water based polymer that when you dip the bait, it soaks in and dries quick, protecting the wood quite well. And a bottle of that stuff last a very long time...

Welcome 2 TU BTW,bb