JBlaze

737 Tn Pps Spinner Crank

Ever since I first saw the Alabama Rig , I have been intrigued by it and have thought of several ways that this rig could be adapted to my style of fishing (shallow). I am sure that it would be an asset to be able to find those schools of deep suspended bass, but I don't think all of us have the knowledge or the electronics to do so. I know that I don't.

I think this lure would work great in the fall when the bass are chasing bait fish or any time the bass are shallow. Like Rayburn Guy, I too have had those bass follow a hooked one right up to the boat and many time if he wasn't already cast out, my partner has thrown in a lure and caught one of them. So why not use a rig that would give those followers a chance to be caught. I am sure it would work. My son-in-law and I were fishing our club classic on Cherokee last week and he caught two bass on a single spinnerbait. One was a nice sized one and the other one was a smaller bass. He had one on the trailer hook and one on the main hook. Just before they got within netting range, his line snapped. This is the first time I have ever seen doubles on a spinnerbait. Maybe with this rig I'll see it again.

With that thought in mind, I have made a couple of versions of it Tn. style. The first one is fairly simple and is posted in the Alabama Rig thread. It turned out to be a floater which suprised me but thats Ok. I think it will catch bass too.

Acording to LittleRiver's research, in Tennessee we can only utilize a bait with three hooks if the hooks are larger than a size 8. I have adapted my Pivot Point Spinnerbait to resemble the a-rig but with only three hooks. It is inserted into a crank body. This one was a little more complicated than the first one as it is basically a through wire and has the blade and side arms extending through the back and sides of the body. It involved making three cuts in the body and and drilling all the way through nose to tail and reaming out the hole so that I could push the assembled wires into the body until the line tie is exposed. After making sure that every thing is pretty well lined up, I glued it all together, Next I added the foil. This is as far as I have gone. While I was applying the foil, I took all three hooks and hooked them together to keep them out of my way and from sticking me. I was looking at it after I finished the foiling and thought it looked like an airplane. I think I will call it a "737" - - - - - - - two lucky 7's with 3 hooks.

I still have to clear coat with D2T. Paint and or color. Add the eyes and clearcoat it again with D2T. After it has cured for 24 hours, I'll tie on the skirts and add my swivel and blade. The three weights weigh 1/4 oz. each and total lure weight will be a little over an ounce. Sure hope it will catch a bass or three. Will post more pics when finished.

Any thoughts on this one? The Photo's are in reverse order.

John

http://s253.photobuc...pinner%20Crank/

Edited by JBlaze

First I have to say, I love how when presented with something new, we find ways to adapt it to our style of fishing. The overall design of your "737" is very intriguing and I can't wait to hear how it runs. A few questions if I may... 1st, what type and size blade or blades will you use? 2nd, with the weight distribution as it is do you think it will run upright till fish on? 3rd, are the hook bodies changeable on the fly as conditions dictate?

I am in no way a wire frame maker, nor do I make spinnerbaits, but when I look at this I see alot of potential for fish catching! Some of my better fish in the winter have come off off 1-1.5oz Ledgebusters with 5" hollowbodies used with the skirt. The fish in my picture was caught on that rig...

So, back to the questions, the primary hook/weight if you increased that to 3/4oz and no weighted the other two hooks ran a skirt on the weighted and swimming bodies on the unweighted, with a big willow blade on your blade arm... I could see slow rollin that in about 5' of water on Falcon right now!!!

Not tryin to change your design, just typin' out loud sort of... Any thoughts on it anyone?

Oh yeah, "737" is very catchy BTW!

First I have to say, I love how when presented with something new, we find ways to adapt it to our style of fishing. The overall design of your "737" is very intriguing and I can't wait to hear how it runs. A few questions if I may... 1st, what type and size blade or blades will you use? 2nd, with the weight distribution as it is do you think it will run upright till fish on? 3rd, are the hook bodies changeable on the fly as conditions dictate?

I am in no way a wire frame maker, nor do I make spinnerbaits, but when I look at this I see alot of potential for fish catching! Some of my better fish in the winter have come off off 1-1.5oz Ledgebusters with 5" hollowbodies used with the skirt. The fish in my picture was caught on that rig...

So, back to the questions, the primary hook/weight if you increased that to 3/4oz and no weighted the other two hooks ran a skirt on the weighted and swimming bodies on the unweighted, with a big willow blade on your blade arm... I could see slow rollin that in about 5' of water on Falcon right now!!!

Not tryin to change your design, just typin' out loud sort of... Any thoughts on it anyone?

Oh yeah, "737" is very catchy BTW!

Bassnbrad, thanks for the compliment. I don't take it that you are trying to change my design. That is what this site is all about, sharing and exchanging ideas. I think its great that you typed out loud and expressed your thoughts. many of my ideas have come from thinking about what someone else has done or said. Sometimes I think I can improve a lure and feel like I have. Sometimes it turns out to be a disaster. This one will probably be changed several times before I am finished with it. I like your idea with the one large center weight and unweighted side arms for a couple of reasons. It would probably give the lure better balance, take some of the stress off those side arms and allow the side hooks to kick up and slide over brush and other obstacles without snagging. LittleRiver made a comment about having three arms with blades and calling it Rolling Thunder. I liked that idea too. But Ive never tried twisting that many wires. Not sure that my wire former could handle it. I think that it will run in an upright position as intended but I could be wrong. It may need some belly weight. Only a water test will give me the answer. Vodkaman might be able to look at it and know what it might do. I fly by the seat of my pants with lots of trial and error. The hooks are not interchangeable as is. This is something I have already been contemplating changing. With the weights on the hooks as they are this lure could be changed to a floater with no weights or a slow sinker , even a suspending version with a little time spent adjusting the amount of weight. Lots of possibilities for this one. I can see another version in the future with no weights on the hooks or wires with a bibbed and weighted crankbait body. Would it wobble, waggle and roll or would it just pull straight with no action but the blade or blades vibrating ? Come on guys, build on it. input, input, input. Make one up and show it off.

Again, thanks for the interest. John

Way back when... Does anyone remember the "Frontrunner" when it came out? This goes to your thoughts of "I can see another version in the future with no weights on the hooks or wires with a bibbed and weighted crankbait body. Would it wobble, waggle and roll or would it just pull straight with no action but the blade or blades vibrating ?"... Back in the mid 90's I reckon, I just started Club fishin' when I saw the front runner on BM's... Working with only fine gauge SS welding wire at the time and only a vise with pliers or drill to twist and shape with, I figured I would try about the same design as the frontrunner but with cranks instead of top waters. First I tried 2 cranks in the original style one in front with the second off the rear hook tie. The actions somewhat canceled each other out. So I tried a wire frame, bent in spinner style with the front shorter wire only about 1.5" long and the longer wire about 5" long. The rear bait's wobble/action was diminished slightly but not as bad as the front style. the shorter arms action was almost non-existent. So I got away from two cranks and went with one crank, keep in mind back then I had the availability of primarily Normans, Bandits, and Excalibers, I found the DLN with a fine wire frame and 1/8oz jigs worked well. There was no action counter-action canceling. The baits looked as if a larger bait fish was chasing a smaller one, and the body was buoyant enough not to sink with the added weight. I caught several fish on it, amazingly enough the majority of the fish were on the 1/8oz jig, as if the fish were trying to steal the bait from the other. I had only one or maybe two doubles though. The whole thing that makes all this memorable though, on this rig I caught my 1st club over 5 pound fish won the Tourney and big bass and the progressive over 5 pot with a 7.5 pounder that ate the jig not the crank... Got off track for minute, But to your wondering about the action, If your body has a weight differential that is attached through or behind it then yes I think the action of the body will probably be nullified by the counteractive weight. and only the blades vibrations will be active. Or whatever bodies you have on the arms, if you used something besides skirts, these would add movements, vibrations, and turbulence also. Just food for thoughts...

Hello everyone, Would my lure be classified as an Umbrella Rig By TWRA? Here is how TWRA defines an Umbrella Rig. What do you think?

TnCrankSpinner009a.jpg

TWRA Clarifies Umbrella Rig Regulations

Released on Thu, Oct 27, 2011 - 3:16 pm under Wildlife Resources

NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency would like to clarify the existing regulation concerning all apparatus classified as umbrella rigs for fishing. TWRA is taking this proactive step in the best interest of the entire fishing community.

Umbrella rigs can be legally fished in Tennessee waters as long as they comply with the regulation as described in the proclamation. An umbrella rig is defined as an array of more than three artificial lures or baits (with or without hooks) used by a single rod and reel combination. Each blade of a spinner bait would be considered a lure. If the hook sizes are 8 or smaller, all lures or baits may have hooks (single, double, or treble). If any hooks on the umbrella rig are hook size 6 or larger, then only one lure or bait in the array may have a hook and that hook must be a single hook.

The Alabama Rig can legally be fished in Tennessee waters following the restrictions set forth for umbrella rigs. If an angler reduces the number of baits attached to the Alabama Rig to three or less it would not meet the definition of an umbrella rig and could be fished with any size or style of hook.

“We didn’t just make this regulation up to ban the Alabama Rig in Tennessee. It’s been on the books for almost 10 years” says TWRA Chief of Fisheries Bobby Wilson. “In effect since 2002, it was established over concerns about catching too many fish at the same time and foul hooking large sport fish, primarily striped bass and hybrid striped bass.”

One of the primary goals of the TWRA is to protect Tennessee’s resources on behalf of all its residents and non-residents alike. While protecting resources is TWRA's number one responsibility, in doing so it also wants to promote tourism plus enhance business initiatives. Having clear, well-defined regulations help create such an environment. The Agency, in conjunction with local governments, welcomes individual fishermen as well as national, regional and local fishing organizations, regardless of angling species preference to enjoy fishing on Tennessee’s waters.

---TWRA---

Kewl lookin bait, but if you're goin by the books then no, it would not be legal unfortunately. unless of course those hooks are size 8's. By their definition you have 5 "Lure Bodies". Now why in the world a spinner blade is considered a lure in its own is beyond me, but its their wording.

SpinnerBait-SteveDesign.jpg

But by their definition this spinnerbait would be 5 lures and you can not use a trailer hook... This would be a point to push with them I would think...