dtrs5kprs

Bomber 14A vs Pointer 78

Not sure how many folks have tried this little bait yet, but I think it is going to be a winner. Dimensions, including lip, are VERY similar to a Pointer 78. It fishes well, and paints well. The 3d eyes can be popped out before painting then replaced with standard 3d stick on eyes, or you can paint over them and dot the eyes like a rogue.

I have come to rely on the 78 for the early cold water bite. But at $5 (or so) vs $15, the 14A looks pretty good, esp if you are going to paint it anyway. Even the stock colors (bomber flash insert colors like the regular Long A) are nice. Bait has a rounded lip, unlike the pointed lip on the 15A baits.

14a_backs.jpg

14a_vs_stock_pointer_78_for_comparison.jpg

14a_backs.jpg

14a_backs.jpg

14a_backs.jpg

14a_backs.jpg

14a_backs.jpg

14a_backs.jpg

14a_backs.jpg

554_thumb.attach

555_thumb.attach

Hey Dtrs5kprs, Im a little confused by your post on the Bomber and Pointer. Are you applying your personal painting to the Bomber 14A's which look like the Pointers? ( im guessing thats what youre saying... JUST not sure!) I have just purchased a Pointer AND a couple of Long A's for my cold water fishing up here in Pa. I did my first tourney this past weekend with water temps maxing out at 47 degrees. The SLOW jerkbait bite was on, unfortunately I tied for last place with 50 other boats that got skunked! The jerkbait bite was not on for me and I threw both the Long A, and the Pointer to no avail. I might have to give the 15A a try though... are they close in comparison to the Pointer. Cause I do like the Pointers... they have some very realistic looking lures, but I have heard from tackle shops they are very pricey and I havent heard a lot of guys catching fish on the local scene. Some pros swear by them. For me... $15.99 is very pricey and you can bet Im not gonna throw that lure in a spot that could cause me to lose it! So that does automatically hinder me! Thanks for the feedback. Cody

Cody,

The top and bottom baits in the first pic are painted 14A's, middle bait is a Pointer 78, stock. The 15A is nothing like any of the Pointers. It is a good bait, but I think it is better when fished quickly, esp in warmer water for spots/smallies. The little Pointers are great cold water baits.

Don't feel bad about your tmt results...I do the same thing frequently when the rogue bite is "on". I tend to fish them too fast, give up on them too soon. They can also be a real "one bite" bait (actually did that yesterday, had a 19&1/2 dmallmouth on a big rogue, every other fish on a little jig).

I would much rather get on a wart or jig bite than a rogue bite in the spring, but jerkbaits are lots of fun to paint.