spinman

Blade Colors For Musky/pike

Been making a fishing spinners for salmon--salt and fresh water--for a long time. I am going to start going after some of the pike avialable up here in Alaska. It seems they are pretty much going after everything from what I am told. I just wanted to see if any of you savvy Musky/Pike guys could give me a direction to go on blade colors for the spinners I am going to build to go after these fish. I am hoping there will be some crossover as far as the colors I already have for salmon. Thanks.

I musky fished in Canada a few years ago and the hot color was lime skirts and Char. blades. Two weeks ago on Cave Run in Kentucky the hot color for muskies was black body and silver blades (#10's) My all time favorite is white/chart. body with gold willow leaf blades on a safety spin type spinner bait. In muddy water I have had good luck with an all white one ounce spinner bait with #7 and 8 willow leaf white blades. Hope this helps. Musky Glenn

I musky fished in Canada a few years ago and the hot color was lime skirts and Char. blades. Two weeks ago on Cave Run in Kentucky the hot color for muskies was black body and silver blades (#10's) My all time favorite is white/chart. body with gold willow leaf blades on a safety spin type spinner bait. In muddy water I have had good luck with an all white one ounce spinner bait with #7 and 8 willow leaf white blades. Hope this helps. Musky Glenn

Thanks Musky, definitely helps. All the colors you mentioned are part of my component selection I use for salmon. What kind of skirts are you talking about. Assuming they are bucktail type. If so, any good sources on them? Thanks again for the info. Spinman.

I don't use bucktails much because of the small amount of difficulty in tying them. I use flashabou on the black and silver. I use silicone on the all white one ounce. and I use Lumiflex on the white and chart. (This is hard to find and expensive but well worth the cost=great action) Lurepartsonline is where I like to buy supplies. Musky Glenn

I don't use bucktails much because of the small amount of difficulty in tying them. I use flashabou on the black and silver. I use silicone on the all white one ounce. and I use Lumiflex on the white and chart. (This is hard to find and expensive but well worth the cost=great action) Lurepartsonline is where I like to buy supplies. Musky Glenn

Thanks again. I will try a few different types and see how they work out. This musky spinner thing is as bad, if not worse than, the salmon spinner stuff. Lots of fun though...thanks for the leads. Spinman

Spinman, I'm a bass angler but since I live and fish in the NE US the water contain musky and pike and from talking to other anglers and my own experiences, Red/White combos seem to really be a favorite of pike. Gold blades, will catch mostly pike as I've found bass fishing the only time I catch pike while fishing with spinnerbaits is when I'm using a gold blade, Chartreuse blades seem to be a favorite of musky, I don't know why but I used to use chartreuse blades for smallies in the river when the water was stained but I no longer use them because every single time I get hit by muskies. Lumeflex is great for skirt material for musky and pike lures and you can get it at living rubber dot com.

Spinman, I'm a bass angler but since I live and fish in the NE US the water contain musky and pike and from talking to other anglers and my own experiences, Red/White combos seem to really be a favorite of pike. Gold blades, will catch mostly pike as I've found bass fishing the only time I catch pike while fishing with spinnerbaits is when I'm using a gold blade, Chartreuse blades seem to be a favorite of musky, I don't know why but I used to use chartreuse blades for smallies in the river when the water was stained but I no longer use them because every single time I get hit by muskies. Lumeflex is great for skirt material for musky and pike lures and you can get it at living rubber dot com.

Thanks for the lumeflex lead. Checked it out. Looks like it might be something I can use on my salmon stuff too. Thanks for the insight smalljaw--appreciate it. Spinman

Another top color is orange blades with a black body. Off colored water try copper blades with a purple skirt.

Thanks for sharing the color tips. Copper is one of my favorites for salmon. I'll throw a few together with the copper and the orange and give them a try. Assuming big blades--I have mag willows up to #7 and the mag blades in 9 and 10. Appreciate the info MuskyGary. Spinman