brucestacklebox

Jig Pouring Problem,please Help

Im pouring a jig where the hook is straight, there is no bend on the top of the hook. I pour the lead in the mould and everything go's as planned BUT because the hook is perfectly striaght within the lead head, it spins. I shouldn't be able to spin the hook within the lead head, it should be solid. any help would be appreciated

Straight shank with a slick finish will not be solid. Been there done that with standard Aberdeen hooks to create a swimming jig. Two fixes -- remove the finish and leave a rough surface shank for the lead to grip or use Mustad 33903 popping bug hooks. They have a small kink in the shank and they work perfect in barbed or collar jigheads since the shank grips the kink and creates a solid hook. Mustad 33903 hooks have longer shanks than Aberdeen jig hooks plus they do not have the round Aberdeen bend.

Been building small ones this way for a while. Great way to swim small plastics.

Charlie

Bruce, FishAction is correct. You can not get the lead to hold in place tightly on a straight shank hook unless there is some kink or bend in the hook shank. That is why you see all the jigs that are poured are poured with the lead being poured where the hook eye shaft bends into the hook shank. If it's an aberdeen hook you can put a little kink in there, as those hooks are meant to be bent out when they get stuck on a log. If you powder paint the area on both sides of the lead where it meets the hook shank it will tightn it some, but it is not the correct solution to your problem. Try to find a longer aberdeen hook and put a kink in there somewhere where the lead will fill over it. If you are not using an aberdeen hook then there really is no solution to this except modifying the mold or having a new mold made.

I figured it had to be something to do with the hook not having a bend in it, the jigs I normally pour all have bends in them. This mould is custom made and new to me and I`ve never poured over a straight shank hook. One of the stores I supply custom lures and jigs to sells a tonne of the ripper jigs and asked me to start making them for him . I thought I`d give it a go. Thanks sooooooo much guys, I can always rely on the people on this website for advice.