Chaos For 2011

Lure Drying Motors

I'm sure there's posts about them, but I would like to get current answers since I know you guys are always improving equipment. What motor are you currently using for your lure turners? If you ordered it online, please post where. I'm looking for one that could turn about 20 cranks at a time.

Edited by Chaos For 2011

My rotisserie motor turns at 1 rpm. That's plenty for the ferris wheel type turner I made.

With the two 18"+- plywood wheels turning at 1 rpm, the farther from the center shaft I put the lures, the faster they are really traveling, and 1 rpm keeps epoxy even without throwing it off the lure.

And the rotisserie motor is meant to turn heavy roasts with the spit down through the center, so, as long as I load the turner evenly, it's plenty strong for turning lures.

I ordered a rotisserie unit today from e-bay because it's painfully obvious that I'm gonna need a lure turner if I plan to continue my new hobby. I tried to turn 'em with my cordless drill but I guess it was too fast. A couple of the baits had ripples (waves) down the sides. Only when the battery began to wear down did it turn slow enough to actually get a couple that were in pretty good shape. Makes me nervous messin' with that epoxy. :eek:

be careful those motors are measured in inch pounds....make sure you get one that will work with the amount of weight you will put on your turner...

I've been using one of these AC gearmotors for 5 years turning up to 12 baits of all sizes at a time for a couple hours at a time and have not had any problem at all. I will usually produce 200-300 baits per year and all turned with one of these gearmotors.

I would assume that everyone makes a different style drying wheel and some motors are obviously more suited for certain applications but the drying wheel I make works great with a 6rpm AC gearmotor and the end result of a perfect clearcoat is a given using 2ton epoxy.

One more thing to consider when purchasing a motor for your drying wheel is what epoxy you will use. The thinner the epoxy the slower you can turn the bait but the thicker the epoxy the faster you need to turn the bait (within reason of course). With a 1 rpm motor on the drying wheel I make the the 2Ton epoxy just does't spread out on the bait and you will have thick spots and thin spots. With thinner epoxy like Etex the 1 rpm motor might do fine because the fluid nature of the epoxy and the slower curing rate. There are a lot of choices when designing and constructing a drying wheel but in my own experience a 6 rpm motor works great for both thick and thin epoxy.

Here's the lureturner I build

The motor is from disco lighting equipment.

I mounted clips for electrical pipe on a bar

The baits are screwed on a piece of pipe with a screw in it.

I built one similar to this. Nice thing with the pipe clips is I use many different attachments on the end of them and switching between couldn't be easier.