Clint M

Wondering What Brand Of Airbrush And Compressor To Get.

Ok guys ive completely lost my mind and decide that although i cant draw a stick man I should be able to airbrush crankbaits for myself. Now all i need is to know what one or ones work the best. I dont want to waste money buying junk. I dont want to spend more than I need to. Give me some ideas please. And if there are any precautions please tell me ahead of time I dont want another fluxing episode at the house. Thanks, Clint

Just my opinion, there is no best brush, but I like Iwata, I have 2 so far. HP-B, HP-CH. I would recommend either for painting lures. HP-CH is a bit more but is worth every penny. It has a mac valve which to be honest I never really use, but is nice to have. If you check ebay you can find some good deals. There are many other good Iwata models out there, just have to go to the site and check them out.

Clint, you can learn a lot by doing a search on 'airbrush" and 'compressor' on the Hardbaits Forum. Many guys ask the same questions. Long story short, most airbrushes will get the job done. However, there is a preference among TU'ers for quality airbrush brands like Iwata and for gravity feed/internal mix airbrushes. If you're going to use one airbrush, a model with a .3 or .35 mm tip size is probably the 'sweet spot' for crankbait painting. There is also a preference for using tool compressors instead of "airbrush compressors". Like the airbrush, most compressors will get the job done but a compressor with an air storage tank works better and tool compressors are relatively cheap compared to many airbrush compressors.

Ok guys ive completely lost my mind and decide that although i cant draw a stick man I should be able to airbrush crankbaits for myself. Now all i need is to know what one or ones work the best. I dont want to waste money buying junk. I dont want to spend more than I need to. Give me some ideas please. And if there are any precautions please tell me ahead of time I dont want another fluxing episode at the house. Thanks, Clint

LOL, oh come on, no more spitting in the lead??? There is a lot of different brushes and opinions of them. I use a Air Pro 720, and am very happy with it. They however are not around anymore. so a inexpensive yet suitable brush similar is the one below. Above all else, Whatever kind you get, make sure you get a dual action brush. It makes a big difference I believe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270798326414?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

its all in the person behind the brush i use a cheap (price tag said $10.00 ) air brush for most of the painting on my crank baits but use a badger for fine details,and i do a good job on them enought to catch fish anyway?? you might try a cheaper brush first(harbor fright) and see what that will do as for compresser auto types are the way to go becouse of the tank you(your wife) don't have to hear the compresser running every ten min. just put a dryer/regulator between the tank and your brush dial in the pressure and paint away

To me a home shop type air compressor is a better choice. Will serve more purposes beside airbrushing crank. You will likely find other uses if you have one. I use mine when I check car tire pressures, nail/brad gun, air sweep the bench top clean, and the list goes on. Mine is a Craftsman 25 gallon on wheels so I can move it around. I also put in an air manifold around the garage so I can have quick connects where I need them. Just plug in a quick connect hose to the manifold. I can also roll the bad boy to my cars when servicing them. Once it is pressured up the run cycle is low when I airbrush. An airbrush type compressor may run all the time (small diaphram type) or cycle more often (pancake type). Thats what I use.

Anyway many choices and what will work for you - well you get to decide. Budget, location, noise, and purpose will help you decide. I've learned a long time ago with an air compressor get one big enough.

The gravity feed will save you a lot of paint over the years. I use Iwatas and love them, but I am sure there are other great airbrushes out there. I use a Brute 15 gallon compressor and let it fill up to 120 psi and can paint with that all night, without having to turn the compressor back on. You have a ton of options, just pick the ones that will be best for you!!

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/hpcplusmaster.html' rel="external nofollow">

So will this be a good one? I have heard a lot of good about iwata. How about this set?

Hey Clint!! I have the Iwata HP-C+ and love it. It is my workhorse brush!! You can use the back dial to control how far back your trigger will go. It definately helps with just starting up. I have had my brush going on three years and never a single problem, still going strong!!

Edited by Big Bass Man

Thanks big bass man. Damn nice fish as well! WOW 11.13. I needed that one today on the water.

Your very welcome Clint!! Good luck with your painting, when you start up. Be sure to have fun and enjoy every minute of it. You will definately be hooked, when you catch your first bass, on a bait you painted. The 11.13 only took me about 25 years to catch, I hope to catch her again in a couple of years from now. She should be close to a state record by then!! Good luck with your quest for the Big Bass, Hopefully you will catch a TOAD!!

Patrick

Well I thought i never would win a tournament. I have fished pretty hard for about four years now. Really buckled down the last two. Now my last five outings I have won two, 2nd two, fourth once. Have to give credit where its due. The Lord gave me the opportunity, the health, the understanding wife. I just showed up.