Cmiller23

Photofinishing.....

Painting with transparent paints over foil can give you great results. Depending on how transparent the paint, and how many coats of paint you put over the foil, it can add quite a bit of flash to your baits. And it will change the shade of some paints when you paint over foil. Spraying Createx transparent sunrise yellow over foil will give you a gold color that I haven't been able to duplicate with paint alone. As with a lot of this stuff your only limited by your imagination.

Here's one where I foiled the bait and then painted over it.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/7896-rapala-perch-pattern-on-foiled-dd22/

Ben

I've done a couple of photo on foil and some with just the photo. The same patterns look different when over foil. Mine don't seem to show up as much over foil but they are light in color. Is it necessary to paint the bait a certain color before foiling? With just the decal it doesn't seem to matter. I prefer these methods because of my lack of painting ability. :)

You mean changing the color of the photo.....darkening, lightening, etc?

That and a lot more.You have to know how to size it, soften edges, use a deform tool, adjust color, use a selection tool, and the list goes on and on. I've been using my editing program for quite a few years and still don't know everything there is to know about it. I learned a lot by joining online forums that dealt specifically with photo editing software. And there are tons of online tutorials that teach that sort of thing.

Ben

Well I did a craw pattern with a chartreuse belly, the belly looks very gold now. Its like I made the pattern a metallic craw.

You can always come back and spray a light coat of chartreuse over the "gold" areas if it doesn't look right to you. Just be sure to go ahead and put a coat of epoxy over it first. This will hide the foil edges and also allow you to wipe off any mistakes and try again without having to trash the bait.

Ben