Kazburg

Cutting Stencils

I was just curious on what material you use or your stencils and how do you cut them. I tried using a Dremel with a cutting bit but it had to many burs so I just used an Exacto knife.

A friend turned me onto this site a couple of months ago when I wanted to start painting some o my chewed up lures. After I painted them 7 or 8 lures i wanted more and made a few of my own thanks to the info you all put at my disposal.I loaded my first pic to the gallery here. http://www.tackleund.../9402-img-0737/

Them look like some tools to make it easier. I had thought about using my soldering iron which would be kind of the same thing. Maybe make a pointy tip for it?

I cut the flat sides off of our discarded milk jugs, it makes great stencil material. I draw out my pattern, then cut it out with a straight razor.

I did use the side of a milk carton for my crappie pattern and even though it was thicker than some other stuff I tried and it seemed to work pretty well. It also formed or bent a little bit when doing one side then going to the other.

I bought a roll of "frisket material", which is an adhesive plastic film with a peel-off paper backing designed for airbrush stencils. It's much more pliable than a milk jug or other things I tried and it's easy to cut accurately with an X-acto knife. Rather than peel and stick (which can lift paint when removed), I leave the backing on the film, cut the stencil, and just hold it on the lure. Reverse it for the other side of the lure. That way, it becomes re-usable and you develop a library of stencils as you go along. About $10 from an art supply source is a virtual 'lifetime supply' of frisket material.

Well them stencil cutters look pretty sweet but I don't use that many stencils. Since I've been aware I've noticed there is a lot of clear plastic going in the trash I can use. An exacto knife might not be the fastest but it did work pretty good and didn't really take that long.