sdsaw

Lee 10lb. Production Pot Iv Vs. Lee Pro 4- 20lb Pro Melting Pots

Any one have both?

Wondering if the 20lb. pro pot has a less troublesome pour spout design

Right now I have a 20lb. magnum melter and use a ladle. Would like to get a bottom pour.

Thanks

Lee 10lb. production pot IV

453015.jpg

Lee Pro 4- 20lb pro melter

453039.jpg

Edited by sdsaw

I have both but I haven't used the 10 lb in a while. Even with the 20 lb pot, I sometimes pour with a ladle. I think it really depends upon what size jigs you are pouring, and how easily the mold pours. I have poured up to 3 or 4 ozs with the 20 lb bottom pour - but the mold was one that was easy to pour.

One tip - try and keep the pots fairly full I have found that helps.

Pete

I have all of them . CLEAN LEAD is no. 1 Fuller the better is no. 2 especially for heads that have any size to them . Being more or less gravity feed you need all the umph! you can get . Remember gravity feed fuel systems . When low on fuel going up hill really sucked . Going down hill wasn't half bad . LOL

Oh Yea . I turned the bottom plate around on one and screwed it to the table so it hung out all alone . Nothing in the way . Other than mold makers seem to like to make spinner bait molds with the wire sticking up in the way . Now that is just plain wrong ! @$%%^@

Edited by toadfrog

I have all of them . CLEAN LEAD is no. 1 Fuller the better is no. 2 especially for heads that have any size to them . Being more or less gravity feed you need all the umph! you can get

Oh Yea . I turned the bottom plate around on one and screwed it to the table so it hung out all alone . Nothing in the way .

Not a bad idea if you need more clearance.

I do see a problem with the 20lb. melting pot if you rotate the base around. You will lose the use of the support legs. Might not be too good for the heating coil.

Not an issue with the 10lb. melter since it doesn't have the support legs to start with

I have used both and they all drip at some point but full pot yep, clean lead yup and keep it fluxed.

Haven't been able to pour in 2 years due to medical problems and my son is here for Thanksgiving so I had him lifting the lead box. Had everything set up and neither pot wanted to work right - Super hot on top and half working on bottom, used a propane torch to clean the lead out.

Called LEE Precision yesterday about the 1/2 price replacement and the Lady told me anything over 10 yrs' old or really beat up they usually just pull new pots. So $77 and I'll have pots that work really good again. It's really nice to see a company stand behind they're products!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Toad, wouldn't it be nice if they put the pour sprue holes on the side of the mold and the wires would be to the side and not in the way at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets see their design techs do that one.

Edited by Fatman