mark poulson

Do-it Mold Modification

I don't sell, I only pour for me, and I go through a ton of football head jigs fishing hula grubs..

So I've been looking online for a jig mold to pour 3/8oz football heads, with a double ring bait holder and longer hook capacity.

The closest I've found is a shaky head multi cavity mold from Do-It:

http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_7_234

It is a ball head mold, and I am wondering if there is enough metal on the sides of the mold to deepen the cavities into the football shape.

Anyone here have any advice?

I am open to other jig molds/manufs., but this one is the closest to the shape/size I've found so far.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Gloomisman,

One of the reasons I like the double collar keeper is that I can change grubs fast when one gets torn up. Having to glue them on is tough when you're fishing in rain and wind, like yesterday.

And I haven't found a football head mold that takes a longer hook, like the shakey head mold.

But I'm open to any suggestions, except the ones my kids have already made! :wink:

Mark,

I don't have the mold, but my friend does, and there is not enough material on the outside face of the mold to do what you want. If you machine it out to be a football head you will go through the aluminum.

With that said, why not use this mold ( http://do-itmolds.com/shop/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_8_28 ), and modify it for the hook you want. If you tell me what hook you are looking for, I can tell you if it will fit the 3/8 oz cavity in this mold.

Not worth it to modify a ball mold to a football mold considering the football mold already exists.

If needed, mod. the football mold to accept a different hook.

That finally dawned on me, too. Doh!!!!

I bought a 3/8 oz, 7 cavity Do-It mold from Barlows, and some 2/0 hooks for it.

I figure I can modify the Do-It 3/8 oz football jig mold if I need to, to accept a different, longer hook. And I think the single barb will hold fine on the one I bought. If not, I'll wrap some heavy mono or braid onto the shank after I take them out of the mold, anchored by crazy glue, to give it some bulk and texture, and that should work.

You gotta wonder how many days it would have taken to make the world if crazy glue and duct tape had come on the first day. :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for all the help. You guys are the best.

Edited by mark poulson

I would go this route,

http://do-itmolds.co...ory&path=1_8_28

Use the 3434 mold,it takes the same hooks as the ball jig you were looking at so no change there, it has the double keeper, and if you don't wan the weed guard no problem just trim the pin so it sits flush and pour away as many as you like without modding the mold and getting all the features you want.

Edited by Madbasser

Madbasser,

Thanks for the idea, but I wanted a multi-cavity 3/8oz. mold, so I bought the do-it football head mold with 7 3/8oz cavities.

It's made to accept 2/0 hooks, but I modified four of the cavities to accept both 3/0 and 4/0 hooks.

My buddy has it now, and 50 hooks each in the 2/0, 3/0, and 4/0 sizes. He'll pour us up a bunch in the next two weeks, and I'll be all set to fish, and lose, lots of jigs this winter.

I'm sure someone has answered your question but here is my 2 cents...I have the Do It Football Head with the cavities from 1/8 to 1/2. It has a ring and barb collar. I fish the skirted grubs on them, especially the Chompers version, and they work great. I don't have to glue and the plastic stays where it's supposed too.

Mark sometimes you can lay a straightened hook in the mold with the jig hook along the back of the shank . you can then bend it out from the shank slightly . Slide on your grub . gives a bit of extra hold .

I've seen lead heads with that type of bait holder. I'll keep it in mind if I need to do something else to hold the plastics.

Mark I think you'll be o.k. with the single barb.

I'm pretty sure it will work fine. I've used single barb jigs and spinnerbaits for years, and they held just fine.

I just got spoiled by Lure Logic jigs, with their double collar football heads. The plastic grubs stay up on them really well.

Proline still makes the same jig, but I'm too cheap to pay over $1 a jig head for something I'm going to lose.