bassbusta01

help!!!!with jig hooks

Depends on what you are making...smaller jigs or bass jigs... also how much you want to spend on them too...if your selling them then certain names sell much better than others, and if it is bass jigs then will you be using the light wire hooks or a heavier flipping hooks. For bass jigs... I personally prefer the Gamakatsu "Jig 60" line for either a heavy wire or EWG hook and the Mustad 32798 light wire in 3/0-5/0 black nickle as the bulk of my inventory with some mid to high-end manufacturers like Owner, Daiichi, etc to flesh my stock out and mix things up. I try to stick to black nickle or bronze...the red hooks and such I would rather ignore. I use some Eagle Claw when I have nothing else, I am not an EC fan at all and they do not really seem to impress any of my customers either. Pound for pound and dollar for dollar the Mustads are my pick, but the gamakatsu seems to please everybody instantly. I buy my hooks from about anyplace where I can find a deal on them, that means you have to look everywhere...and I mean everywhere: get the email-newsletters and jump on the sales at Barlow's and Stamina...one or the other will discount alot of hooks before the year is out, find them on eBay and when you do then work a deal (if everything was acceptable with the auction) to buy them direct from the seller thru email, find where ever and whoever you can buy them from wholesale prices or less, buy by the thousand at least but look for the larger lots to really save and sell your surplus to cover another hook size or model. It takes some initial work but before you know it you will have 4 or 5 sources to pull from for this type of stuff. I try keep a thousand or so hooks on hand of the hooks that I use whether 60 or 90 degree jig hooks to spinnerbait to J-bend worm hooks...somewhere between 30 and 50 thousand hooks depending on the time of year so I have find those deals and I am cheap so I enjoy the search as well. JIM

Agree with JIM - "I am not an EC fan at all and they do not really seem to impress - Pound for pound and dollar for dollar the Mustads are my pick, but the gamakatsu seems to please everybody instantly".

Barlow's, Stamina are good sources - also, SRMO ( Shark River Mail Order).

You might have to do some mold modifications to use some of the hooks.

Thanks for the info about Shorty's. He sent me a price list in about 2-3 days! Now I guess I need to get a tax number to buy from him. I was more or less trying to keep my tackle making projects a hobby. Where is an inexpensive place to buy hooks at retail? Cabela's seems okay and Barlows and Stamina too. Anybody know any other places? I have bought some on eBay but they are hit and miss as to what sizes and types are available.

Thanks,

Haebar

Haebar

Try Captain Hooks....they have better prices than the barlows and staminas of the world' date=' and a fairle decent selection of the stand-bys that you would use for jigmaking.

[url']www.ccaptainhookswarehouse.com[/url]

Regards

Thanks Jigmaster! They look like a good source. Your link has an extra c in it; if you type it with one c it works.

The Matzuo hooks are made by Gamakatsu for Matzuo from what I understand. I like them alot myself and am particularly fond of the sickle hook. This hook seems to really outshine anything I have ever used before and after using it for over two years now I can't find anything negative to say about it at all, in my opinion if you threw it up in the air it would turn into sunshine. :wink: JIM