black haze

What Pouring Pot Do U Guys Recommened?

Cant decide what pot to buy or ladle.....I will be pouring mostly jigs in the range of 3/8 up to 11/4 footballs. Plan on staying pretty busy this winter pouring jigs for me and my bass buddys. I guess im looking in to the bottom pours.....Im new to this so all in your inputs are very helpfull...Thanks

black haze,

I am a strong proponent of the Lee IV bottom pouring pot. I do not ladle pour except on very rare occasions, when nothing seems to work on a particular day. The Lee pot I believe is the easiest to use and the safest. I have (4) Lee IV pots, (2) Palmer hot pots and a big RCBS pot. They all suit a purpose for me, but my bread and butter ones are the Lee IV pots. You will not be disappointed if you buy one. There is a learning curve to all of this, so be patient, ask questions, read all the safety issues at the top of this forum, and most of all be aware of what you are doing when pouring. Lead is very hot and unforgiving. Wear safety glasses a face shield, long sleeve shirt, long pants and shoes, to keep yourself from being burned.

Edited by cadman

I also have the Lee pot. I only have one and it is so old that I wore out the inside and had to order another one. It has been going since shep was a pup and I expect another 10-15 years out of it.

Jigman,

You are correct, they last forever. I have had one for several years, and the cost to fix them is minimal.

I have poured with the Lee, and old Lynman if I remember the name right, (gave that one away to friend), and have the RCBS. I like the RCBS, but when that one dies, I will use the Lee bacause I just don't think the RCBS is worth the extra money. I send a few hundred pounds through mine a year selling saltwater jigs from 1/8oz.-4oz. with it, and then sinkers. Mine gets used really hard also.

Like I said, when mine dies, I will get the Lee just because of cost.

I'm with Jig and Cad on the LEE IV and always will.

I had hernia surgery 7 weeks ago and with all the other medical problems I've had the last 2 years I was gonna pour jigs the Saturday before Thanksgiving, the wife had to go teach a Red Cross class, my son was here to lift the can of clean lead ingots. Had everything set up, lead started melting and I went to do a few warming pours in the molds to heat them up. Got all slow flow - top half of the pot was hot as all get out, but the bottom just wasn't kicking it. I had my son put the heavy leather gloves on and pour the stuff at the top into an ingot pan. The rest I had to use a propane torch to get the lead out.

they cooled I packed them up, that Monday I called LEE and the lady told me to send them in. While my pots are eligible for the 1/2 price replacement, because they're the old square back ones, they're going to send me 2 brand new model LEE IV's, $79.68 for both. One of the pots I bought in 1984 the second 1987, 27 and 24 yrs. old and the company still backs them!!!!!! THANK YOU LEE PRECISION!!!!!!!

We might all complain about leaks but sorry I will always recommend the LEE IV.

We might all complain about leaks but sorry I will always recommend the LEE IV.

You are absolutely correct, everyone of my Lee pots leak at some time . Just a minor inconvenience, that you figure out how to deal with. There customer service is outstanding.My element went out in my pot and I told them I want the same pot back just replace the element. They did as I requested and only charged me for the element. It doesn't get any better than that. They didn't try to sell me a whole pot.

Cant decide what pot to buy or ladle.....I will be pouring mostly jigs in the range of 3/8 up to 11/4 footballs. Plan on staying pretty busy this winter pouring jigs for me and my bass buddys. I guess im looking in to the bottom pours.....Im new to this so all in your inputs are very helpfull...Thanks

I've got 2 Lee bottom pours a hot pot ladle type melter, and a hot pot II melter, plus a 20 lb hybrid bottom pour/ladle melter called "the ultimate inferno" that I got from Hilts molds years ago. If I had to live with just one, it would be the hot pot II because it will pour large (saltwater) jigs which are a problem for the Lee pots unless you get your molds very hot. Best world, you have both a Lee and a Hot Pot II, each has advantages with certain molds

black haze, I am a strong proponent of the Lee IV bottom pouring pot. I do not ladle pour except on very rare occasions, when nothing seems to work on a particular day. The Lee pot I believe is the easiest to use and the safest. I have (4) Lee IV pots, (2) Palmer hot pots and a big RCBS pot. They all suit a purpose for me, but my bread and butter ones are the Lee IV pots. You will not be disappointed if you buy one. There is a learning curve to all of this, so be patient, ask questions, read all the safety issues at the top of this forum, and most of all be aware of what you are doing when pouring. Lead is very hot and unforgiving. Wear safety glasses a face shield, long sleeve shirt, long pants and shoes, to keep yourself from being burned.

Can't go wrong with the Lee, I love mine.