lifalcons99

Recommendations On Topcoats ?

Need a little more info - like asking what car should I buy without any info on use, type such as number of people you want to carry, mileage, cost limits.

There are guys that use E-tex, D2T,DN, automotive clears. Suggest you do a forum search cause there are tons of info to help you make the choice that best fits your criteria (drying time, finish thickness, clarity, durability, availability, timing to acquire, additional tools necessary( lure turner, heaters, brushes, solvents), costs. If you starting out consider E-tex or D2T.

Top coats are one of, if not the most, discussed subject at TU. Just about any question you can ask has been asked before. Use the search function and do a little reading. Then if you still have questions then come back and ask something a little more specific. Include such things as what type of fish your going after and the type of lure your planning on top coating. Whether it's wood or plastic. What type of paint you'll be using. (acrylic, lacquer, etc.)

Whatever you decide to top coat with, make sure you research the product. Some products like the "Urethane's" require special attentions and others are mix and use only. There's a lot of great info on here, but the particulars should be observed per individual use. On here, out of 10 different people, you would probably get 7 different opinions... No Joke... It comes down to what your coating, how many at a time and how much you can afford.

I usually use d2t type slow setting epoxy. Actually, I don't know if I have ever actually used d2t. What I am using right now is Permatex, Permaoxy 30 min. high strength epoxy. I believe it is rated at 3500 lbs. I have had trouble with Super Glue, Delayed setting epoxy (sets in 30 min.) and is rated for only 2000 lbs. I look for high strength, slow setting epoxy that looks clear in the package (one side usually has a slight yellow tint) I bought the Super Glue because it was clear in both tubes. Musky Glenn

E-tex should fit the bill,most of the musky guys/gals use it or d2t,so if it will take the beating a musky will put it thru it will stand up to saltwater use just make sure to use stainless wire/hook hangers and hooks or the salt water will eat them right off the bait and the rust can build up inside on reg. wire and break the plug and the wire

With those lures and fishing types, the epoxy's will do fine. Keep in mind, read the label to make sure it is waterproof, not resistant when cured. Though not necessary, with epoxy's a lure turner will improve your overall coating on the bait. The only bad thing I will say about the epoxy coatings, and this was probably something about the way I coated, when the lures were left on the boat in a box in the heat, I had several coatings split and start peeling away the paint. Some lures I had used and at least two I had not used yet. But we also had around 2 months of 100+ degrees each day. I do not know if it was the epoxy (E-tex) or the heat, but I ended up switching to DN.