saltshaker

Single Hooks

If I were to use single hooks on a 4 1/2" jerkbait, what style and size would suffice? The lure calls for #4 trebles...if that matters.

Thanks

I believe there is another thread going on about using single hooks. If I were to exchange, I would start off by weighing the #4 trebles that came off the lure and matching the weight with a single hook of your choice. I prefer the Siwash style myself.

Still, you might get away with larger or smaller on that bait, depending on hook location and action desired. Time to hit the water and experiment. 8O

I didn't answer before because a jerkbait is one lure I definately would never use a single hook on.

I've caught too many fish where the belly treble was in their mouth, and the back treble had snagged them in the gill plate, or somewhere else.

I've only had one fish spit a jerkbait that I actually saw, and that was when it came out of the edge of a weedline 10' from my boat, and saw the boat just as it inhaled, and then spit out the jerkbait. I wound up swinging on empty water.

I throw jerkbaits along the edge of weeds, so they can pull fish out of the weeds, where I think they wait in ambush.

The flash and erratic action of a jerkbait would be kind of lost in the weeds themselves, I think.

If you're trying to make a weedless jerkbait, go to a soft jerkbait and Texpose it on a weighted hook.

I didn't answer before because a jerkbait is one lure I definately would never use a single hook on.

I've caught too many fish where the belly treble was in their mouth, and the back treble had snagged them in the gill plate, or somewhere else.

I've only had one fish spit a jerkbait that I actually saw, and that was when it came out of the edge of a weedline 10' from my boat, and saw the boat just as it inhaled, and then spit out the jerkbait. I wound up swinging on empty water.

I throw jerkbaits along the edge of weeds, so they can pull fish out of the weeds, where I think they wait in ambush.

The flash and erratic action of a jerkbait would be kind of lost in the weeds themselves, I think.

If you're trying to make a weedless jerkbait, go to a soft jerkbait and Texpose it on a weighted hook.

Mark, we fish for speckled trout and redfish. We usually remove the center hook (if they have one) because these fish almost always strike the head. I've caught reds that swallowed the bait so far that the front trebles were not in view. I thought the hooks could even face downward because there is usually nothing but open water...unless you're throwing over a shallow oyster reef. Personally, I've found that single hooks normally hold better than trebles on trout. Redfish really doesn't matter because their mouths are like leather. Just kickin' the idea around.

I'm envious. I used to fish the salt a lot, and the fish in SoCal, like barricuda and sea bass, are a blast.

I hear redfish are a kick to catch,too.

I bet you need stout hooks for those guys.

The closest I've come to that on freshwater is snagging a huge carp with a crankbait by accident. 10 seconds of terror, a bent pole and a screaming drag. Then pop, and all I got back was a huge scale on the treble. I thought for sure he was going to spool me.

But it was a gas while it lasted.

I'm envious. I used to fish the salt a lot, and the fish in SoCal, like barricuda and sea bass, are a blast.

I hear redfish are a kick to catch,too.

I bet you need stout hooks for those guys.

The closest I've come to that on freshwater is snagging a huge carp with a crankbait by accident. 10 seconds of terror, a bent pole and a screaming drag. Then pop, and all I got back was a huge scale on the treble. I thought for sure he was going to spool me.

But it was a gas while it lasted.

They are a hoot, Mark. Most of the time, no matter the time of year, they are in shallow water, but, they can still go. They can stand the colder temps and lower salinity much better than speckled trout....which are also fun to catch. I have seen a solid acre of redfish several times. It's referred to as "Red Tide". I think that's where they came up with "feedin' frenzy".