Outlaw Lures

3d Eyes Under Clear Coat Powder Paint?

Long time reader first time poster:) I just started using clear coat powder paint on my spinners & jigs instead of epoxy. It is super easy and really makes the color pop! Question: Has anyone ever tried to apply clear coat powder paint over a 3D eye then cure it? I want to try it but I will say I've been learning the expensive way lately and want to know if anyone else has tried it before I ruin another spinner bait. looking forward to your replies.

Outlaw,

I have had limited to no success doing this. I have tried putting clear powder coat over 2D eyes, and since my eyes are screened over a foil type back it seemed to work OK as long as you don't bake it for more than 15 minutes. I have tried it on 3D eyes with no success. The heat melts and deforms the eyes. I have also tried clear nail polish as well, and some of the clear nail polish is fine on the eyes but reacts with the powder paint. Many of the clear nail polishes have acetone in them and that wrinkles the powder paint. This is my experience, if anyone has a better way or a solution I would like to know as well.

Knowing absolutely nothing about powders this is more of a question. Just wondering how heat would effect a 3D eye that was made out of epoxy. I was playing around one day with some eyes and used some of the foil backed 2D eyes to apply a drop of epoxy to them to see if that would make a decent looking 3D eye. It worked and I could barely tell the difference between a molded eye and the ones I did using the epoxy. Just putting this out there to see if it will help.

Ben

Pro-Tec clear requires 356 degrees for 25 minutes. There are several other brands with differing heat and time requirements.

Don't use a finished item to experiment with. Take an eye and stick it to a scrap piece of lead then heat it to 356 for 25 minutes. This will tell you if the eyes you use will stand up to the cure process. I doubt it will but please let the site users know the result.

Charlie

It doesn't work and I have tried it. I even cured it at a lower temp for a longer period and while the eye didn't melt bad it didn't hold. I think the reason it didn't hold is the paint won't adhere to the eye, it sticks only to the lead around it so you're basically doing it for nothing. The bright side is I use the clear powder with flake in it and using that with D2T on top of it really makes it "POP" , I do like clear powder but not for use with 3D eyes.