bass01

Blue Highlight Tint

i am just getting started painting baits and looking to find out if there is a way to get a blue highlight color on baits similar to the color of the highlight powder used in soft baits or is it possible to mix the plastic powder in a clear to get the same color effect. Thanks BASS01

I use Auto Air Series 4400 Hi-Lite Interference FX airbrush paint. You can put 3-4 light coats of it on any color paint and it will leave a blue hi-lite across it. Here is a link where I purchase mine. The pic of the hi-lite blue on the link looks dark because it is sprayed over black. Sprayed over lighter colors, it leaves a ghostly blue.

http://www.chicagoairbrushsupply.com/ause44gemsh46.html

Here is a pic of some shads where I added the blue hi-lite across the shoulders of them. Just to give you an idea how it shows up on baits.

063.jpg

• Like 1

Here's an example of what brushing the highlight looks like. It takes a very light touch as it can go on quite heavily. Once you clear over it, it will give it depth.

I haven't tried it; but I'm pretty sure it can be sprayed thorgh an airbrush. It will have to be applied over a damp surface for it to stick though.

www.novalures.com

Resize of Re-exposure of sttopwaterfry.JPG

post-11797-0-30879000-1322661503_thumb.jpg

Edited by nova

The easiest way to get the color shift highlight I have found, is to mix a tiny bit of pearl pigment of your color choice in your topcoat then apply to your lure. When I say a tiny bit, I mean That quite literally. I use a needle and dip it in the pigment then tap it on the edge of the mixing cup. One or two dips is usually more than enough. That way you are just tinting your clear, not coloring it. Make sense? When that coat dries if you put a second coat on it really deepens the effect and gives it that deep wet look.