Sonny.Barile

More Anti-fishing?

Their store here carries a lot of fishing stuff. Plus, if they have what you need, you can`t beat the price.

I`ll give you this ,some stores are better stocked then others. I think it`s the location more than anything. J s/n.

And i'll bet the money you spend at Walmart is being used to fund the groups that are trying to stop us from fishing....just a thought....

I talking to a friend of mine today that is a boss at walmart.....he told me that the sporting goods department is the only department that doesn't make a profit......they go by the amount of square foot of sales space......who would have thunk it....

Edited by Double Trouble Lures

You guys have no idea. Not sure if people across the country have heard anything about the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) that is currently taking effect in California but it is basically a conservation initiative that was started with good intention and was suppose to have been based on science but it ended up getting high jacked by special interests most of whom could care less about conserving out our fisheries.

In the end the supporters bought out all decision makers including the Governator. The people left in charge of the of determining the areas to be closed knew nothing about the fisheries, They were oil company executives and land developers who also drew strong support from rich beach front estate property owners who found a way to make the beaches in front of their homes private and prevent the public from accessing these areas.

Decision makers disregarded the studies conducted by the worlds leading experts on fishery management, and payed no attention to the pleas or demands of the fishing community here in California. We got railroaded through the whole process and as a result we lost many of our best fishing areas forever. Once an area becomes a reserve it falls under a different set of laws that in the case of a reserve prohibits boating, swimming, and walking but fails to do anything to improve water quality. It opens these areas up to oil exploration as well. You would think that PETA would be all over it but they didn't come out to support this ban. The Fishing community are the true conservations in this situation.

As a consequence the spots in areas that have remained opened have been over fished due to Anglers being left fewer options. Although one may argue that only 15% of the coast line has been closed but when you consider 90% of the fish we catch along the coast in California come from areas that make up 15 to 20% of our waters and 100% of the closed areas exist within that 15 to 20% of our prime waters the impact is huge. Be very concerned of any conservation movements in your states because oil companies and big business are and will use this as an excuse to change the laws to their benefit. They operate under the disguise of ocean stewardship organizations to gain public support but make no mistake about it these people are no friends to fisherman or our oceans. Don't take my word for it do a google search on "MLPA Corruption" and see what comes up. Here are few of many.

http://redgreenandblue.org/2011/01/13/why-is-a-big-oil-lobbyist-in-charge-of-californias-marine-protection-program/

JerryG

You guys have no idea. Not sure if people across the country have heard anything about the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) that is currently taking effect in California but it is basically a conservation initiative that was started with good intention and was suppose to have been based on science but it ended up getting high jacked by special interests most of whom could care less about conserving out our fisheries.

In the end the supporters bought out all decision makers including the Governator. The people left in charge of the of determining the areas to be closed knew nothing about the fisheries, They were oil company executives and land developers who also drew strong support from rich beach front estate property owners who found a way to make the beaches in front of their homes private and prevent the public from accessing these areas.

Decision makers disregarded the studies conducted by the worlds leading experts on fishery management, and payed no attention to the pleas or demands of the fishing community here in California. We got railroaded through the whole process and as a result we lost many of our best fishing areas forever. Once an area becomes a reserve it falls under a different set of laws that in the case of a reserve prohibits boating, swimming, and walking but fails to do anything to improve water quality. It opens these areas up to oil exploration as well. You would think that PETA would be all over it but they didn't come out to support this ban. The Fishing community are the true conservations in this situation.

As a consequence the spots in areas that have remained opened have been over fished due to Anglers being left fewer options. Although one may argue that only 15% of the coast line has been closed but when you consider 90% of the fish we catch along the coast in California come from areas that make up 15 to 20% of our waters and 100% of the closed areas exist within that 15 to 20% of our prime waters the impact is huge. Be very concerned of any conservation movements in your states because oil companies and big business are and will use this as an excuse to change the laws to their benefit. They operate under the disguise of ocean stewardship organizations to gain public support but make no mistake about it these people are no friends to fisherman or our oceans. Don't take my word for it do a google search on "MLPA Corruption" and see what comes up. Here are few of many.

http://redgreenandbl...ection-program/

JerryG

This is exactly the type of thing I've been talking about. A lot, if not most, of these people could care less about wildlife and habitat conservation. When it comes to the preservation of wildlife and the habitat they live in it's in the best interest of the people who use these resources to keep them maintained. Not some rich socialite who doesn't want to see a smelly fisherman using "their" waterfront.

Ben

Mark,

Big business is all over it and the truth is that they could care less about anglers or our fisheries. They are looking to increase there bottom line and are using new environmental laws to work the system and manipulate our resources the whole time making it seem as if they are concerned. The general public will always come out in support of initiatives that preserve the environment and protect wild life. If the general public only knew what was going on there would be a lot more protests and boycotts going on. Make no doubt about it these people will destroy the environment long before they will save it and for what just to increase profits and monopolize markets. Once they have privatized large areas of public land and paid off the politicians to hand over management to non profit groups directly funded by BIG business (Wall Mart, Oil Companies, Land Developers) then they can exploit it for all it's worth.

It's completely un-American. Just think of all the people who fought (died) so we could have the freedom we enjoy today only to lose our lands and liberties to big business and corrupt politicians who have been bought by these people. These people should be in jail for what they are doing but instead they are left in charge to make the decisions that will affect our future.

JerryG

Edited by jerryg

http://redgreenandbl...ection-program/

JerryG

Wow. Sh*t.

We are going to need protection soon. We are a dying breed!

I don't know about that. America is chock full of sportsmen. But what we need is awareness, then action!

But awareness must come first. Like I said: a watchdog group.

Sounds like we fell asleep a bit, and were tied to the ground whilst napping.

in the ohio valley its the natral gas boom going on here and the stuff thay pump down the well to crack the shale that has me worryed it will get into the ground water sooner or later then any water wells drilled will be worthless for human drinking and maybe more then that?who knows in the long run we all lose!! there even drilling on public hunting land that my hunting lisence helps pay for and told me i wasnt allowed to hunt this last spring for turkeys becouse of the drilling i told them kma i was hunting and if that wanted to press it go ahead i would see them in court,Thay let me go hunting and left me alone,why?becouse in this area about everone hunts or fish to keep the family fed and alot of the other land thay drill on is leasted for drilling rights and if you piss someone off around here everyone knows about it and you will be told no you can't drill really fast so thay keep there mouth shut so as to not piss off the locals.... just my two cents

Edited by crankpaint

I don't know about that. America is chock full of sportsmen. But what we need is awareness, then action!

But awareness must come first. Like I said: a watchdog group.

Sounds like we fell asleep a bit, and were tied to the ground whilst napping.

Apparently you haven't read any of the articles in Bassmaster magazine dealing with this very subject. Or any of the reports that fewer hunting and fishing licenses are being sold. Fewer and fewer children are being introduced to fishing and hunting every year. So yes, I would have to agree with Sonny that we are indeed a dying breed.

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy
  • Like 1

Apparently you haven't read any of the articles in Bassmaster magazine dealing with this very subject. Or any of the reports that fewer hunting and fishing licenses are being sold. Fewer and fewer children are being introduced to fishing and hunting every year. So yes, I would have to agree with Sonny that we are indeed a dying breed.

Ben

Ben you and I are on the same page with this. So often I see people out on the water who are so up tight with information and unwilling to help others who are new to the sport. Look I understand not wanting to give up ones spots or information that might help gain edge in a tournament but that's not what I"m talking about. If we don't take the time to introduce the sport to Anglers then the sport will die.. I rather see a kid out for the first time catch a big fish than myself or even an adult for that matter who has never fished before. There is just something magical about that first fish and especially if its a big one that is like nothing else. There is a good chance that catching that fish might raise an interest in fishing that will last a life time. I remember a day way back when I was that kid out for the first time who caught that big fish and I was hooked. From that moment forward fishing began making a positive influence in my life. I bet for many of you out there reading this there was a day when that kid was you. Just think of all the benefits and enjoyment that fishing has brought to your life. Introduce it to others share the gift.

JerryG

Edited by jerryg

There are decisions being made now that will affect the future of our sport. We do need to raise awareness of the situation to Anglers and non Anglers alike because what's at steak is our liberties, our land, and our traditions. We formed a coalition group out here in California to fight for our rights and took on the State (politics backed by big business) to court and we lost on a technicality. I just felt that our coalition failed to get the support of enough anglers. It was weak and I feel we just need something better. Something at a national level really what we need is a watchdog organization that protects access to public lands, helps keep our fisheries healthy (sustainable), and defends our the rights of Anglers across the country. They need to defend us at local, state, and federal levels. We need something comparable to the NRA but much more powerful. Until we get organized and establish a group to defend our rights we will continue to loose our rights to fish.

JerryG

Edited by jerryg

There are decisions being made now that will affect the future of our sport. We do need to raise awareness of the situation to Anglers and non Anglers alike because what's at steak is our liberties, our land, and our traditions. We formed a coalition group out here in California to fight for our rights and took on the State (politics backed by big business) to court and we lost on a technicality. I just felt that our coalition failed to get the support of enough anglers. It was weak and I feel we just need something better. Something at a national level really what we need is a watchdog organization that protects access to public lands, helps keep our fisheries healthy (sustainable), and defends our the rights of Anglers across the country. They need to defend us at local, state, and federal levels. We need something comparable to the NRA but much more powerful. Until we get organized and establish a group to defend our rights we will continue to loose our rights to fish.

JerryG

If I may chime in again as an European , ..........this statement above decribes the situation , that we're into over here , pretty well !

Our opponents are using what in German we call a "salami" tactics , ........a little cut-off here , a little draw-back there , .......another restriction against carp anglers ,.....after a while a new restriction against lure fishermen , ....just bit by bit so nobody would sense it clearly , ........or just say , ......."well , it's only on the other ones , not on myself , so I won't raise my voice !" .

But in the end ALL anglers will be left with nothing , ...maybe some put-and-take trout ponds only , ...if at all !

Another big , big problem is the unity of all anglers , talked about the reasons above , ............and second , .......vast majority of fishermen just wanna go fishing , enjoy their leisure time in the outdoors and not visit any meetings , go through lawsuits and dicussions or the work in large fishermen organisations comparable to the shooter's organisation NRA , that you've mentioned .

And even such organisations do not always work for the needs and demands of the simple anglers , but join into larger politics , ........at least here in Germany !

I'm wishing you the best of luck in your struggle , ...as it would surely touch European anglers as well to see the realtive freedom of fishing in the USA going down as well .

Cheers , diemai :yay:

Kids seem to have a born love for fishing and fishing tackle. I pull a jig out of my box, or a crank, and sure enough if kids are around they are mesmerized. Girls and boys. They forget where they were going! So what are we doing wrong, then?

I'm sure most households with casual fisherman probably made the fishing license and all the tackle the first thing to go from the budget, so it must be at least partially due to the economy. But I do wonder to what extent our sportman heritage is sliding downhill.

jerryg,

VERY interesting reading on that link you posted. I read some, I'll have to get into it more later.

Diemai I want to thank you for your support. I am sorry to hear about the situation you are faced with in Germany. I'm afraid that we are headed in the same direction. One thing that bothers is that at least here in California the decision makers in the Fish and Game Department are appointed by the Governor. Big Oil, Walmart, Land Developers, and others that make up the 1% keep the Governors in their back pockets and the Governor is basically their puppet as are the rest of the politicians in this country. Big Business wants to control resources and most the people in charge of our resources are appointed not placed by public vote but instead by elected official. Big Business wants to make sure that all decision makers are on their side so that decisions are made to benefit them. They don't care about conservation, Anglers, or the public for that matter and this is should be of huge concern.

JerryG

Diemai I want to thank you for your support. I am sorry to hear about the situation you are faced with in Germany. I'm afraid that we are headed in the same direction. One thing that bothers is that at least here in California the decision makers in the Fish and Game Department are appointed by the Governor. Big Oil, Walmart, Land Developers, and others that make up the 1% keep the Governors in their back pockets and the Governor is basically their puppet as are the rest of the politicians in this country. Big Business wants to control resources and most the people in charge of our resources are appointed not placed by public vote but instead by elected official. Big Business wants to make sure that all decision makers are on their side so that decisions are made to benefit them. They don't care about conservation, Anglers, or the public for that matter and this is should be of huge concern.

JerryG

OK , ...I figure out a bit more now , ........over here in Europe the causes are a bit different , but the results for us anglers are the same in the end .

Over here it's not the big business but rather a very strong environmental lobby in the politics and society in general , .........if the treehuggers had their way , there won't be no more fishing and hunting , ......and the struggle is constant ,...... and anglers most likely seem to be on the loosing streak .

Also green ideologies have already infiltrated the officials of the anglers associations , even the heads of single fishing clubs , ........I could name a few examples , but this would get out of topic in here .

The problem is , that everything about fishing is well organized , at least in Germany(more fredom in other countries in Europe) .......one can hardly get access to any good fishing waters , if not having membership in the fishing clubs , so they've got a good control over fishing individuals .

OK , enough off topic now , ..........greetz , diemai :yay:

OK , ...I figure out a bit more now , ........over here in Europe the causes are a bit different , but the results for us anglers are the same in the end .

Over here it's not the big business but rather a very strong environmental lobby in the politics and society in general , .........if the treehuggers had their way , there won't be no more fishing and hunting , ......and the struggle is constant ,...... and anglers most likely seem to be on the loosing streak .

Also green ideologies have already infiltrated the officials of the anglers associations , even the heads of single fishing clubs , ........I could name a few examples , but this would get out of topic in here .

The problem is , that everything about fishing is well organized , at least in Germany(more fredom in other countries in Europe) .......one can hardly get access to any good fishing waters , if not having membership in the fishing clubs , so they've got a good control over fishing individuals .

OK , enough off topic now , ..........greetz , diemai :yay:

This is interesting because the tree huggers do play a significant role in anti-fishing campaigns here as well. There are groups of environMENTAL extremists here that would like nothing more than to put an end to all forms of fishing and hunting. Although their numbers were small in comparison to those who came out in support of the fishing community they are relentless in their efforts to shut down fishing in California. These people don't have a clue when it comes to fishery management but they seem to think they know what is best for everything and everyone. Their attitude is to hell with anglers, hunters, fishing and hunting. Could care less about tradition and the rights of every man, woman, and child. These people make us out to be cold blooded killers. Even if your strictly catch and release which I am for the most part they see people like me as someone who tortures animals. If these people knew anything about our fisheries then they would find that Anglers are the true environmentalists and that is why we are the ones fighting the hardest to protect the fisheries. If any enviro extremists spent half the time I have spent on the water over the past 30 years then they would actually have an understanding of our fisheries and even if they didn't fish I am willing to bet they would be on our side.

JerryG

JerryG said

"If any enviro extremists spent half the time I have spent on the water over the past 30 years then they would actually have an understanding of our fisheries and even if they didn't fish I am willing to bet they would be on our side."

That is true and is the real tragedy of the situation. We're fighting each other, while the oil companies are stealing our resources, and despoiling our world.

No one wants a healthy environment more than we fishermen, who rely on clean, healthy water to support our fish, and our passion.

I personally know a few of the DFG staff here in CA, and they are all fisheries biologists, and lots are bass fishermen, too. Their concern is protecting the fisheries, first and foremost, but they meet with the tournament organizations and fishing clubs every year, both to educate us, and to find out from us what's working, and what isn't, in terms of their regulations and proceedures, when we apply for our annual and event permits for tournaments. They go out of their way to accomodate us, because they know, in our hearts, we share the same goal, a strong, healthy fishery.

The DFG in CA is headed by a fisherman, someone who has been involved with fishing for his entire adult life.

I'm guessing he's on our side.

But I don't know who makes the decisions as far as the closures. I'm pretty sure it has to be another body, who don't care about fishing.

I don't know the head of the DFG, Charlton Bonham, personally, but here's his resume:

Charlton “Chuck” Bonham was appointed as Director of the California Department of Fish and Game, effective September 6, 2011. Prior to his appointment as Director of Fish and Game, Mr. Bonham served in a number of roles for Trout Unlimited over ten years, including since 2004 as the organization’s California director.

Mr. Bonham was responsible for developing, managing, and implementing TU's programs in California. These programs include the California Water Project, Sportsmen’s Conservation Project, and restoration and watershed projects in both northern and Southern California. In addition, Mr. Bonham was a senior attorney for the organization.

Mr. Bonham also served on the Board of Directors of the Delta Conservancy, whose mission is to conserve, sustain and enhance the cultural, agricultural, recreational, wildlife and natural habitat resources of the River Delta region, as well as develop and promote sustainable protection, management and stewardship programs through research and education.

Mr. Bonham received his J.D. and Environmental and Natural Resources Law Certificate from the Northwestern School of Law of Lewis and Clark College, in Portland, Oregon. Before Trout Unlimited, he was a Peace Corps volunteer in Senegal, West Africa, and an instructor and guide at the Nantahala Outdoor Center, in Bryson City, N.C.

Mr. Bonham brings a diverse background and a longstanding appreciation for the outdoors to the position.

Edited by mark poulson

As I said, I don't know him personally. But he is obviously a fisherman, and, just as obviously, a conservationist.

Pretty daring, almost Left Coast. Hahaha

If a person can be judged by the company he keeps, I'd say he's okay, judging by the number of top flight people I've met who work for him in the Fisheries Dept.

All of them care about the fish, and the fishermen.

I hope every State gets the same type of Fish and Game dept. we have in CA.

I agree that the field staff (officers) of the California Department Of fish and Game are great. I have become friends with my local (Southern California) DFG officer(s) over the years. For those that don't know the California Fish and Game is seriously under funded and under staffed making their presence in the field almost seem non-existent at times. The California Field Officer is faced with enforcing the law in the forests, hunting/ non hunting areas (poachers for the non hunting areas) , inshore, offshore, coastal waters/ lands, islands, and inland waters. The Field Officer is faced with an impossible job and based on what I have seen they do all they can to protect our resources to the best of their abilities. I strongly support and deeply appreciate their superb efforts. I wish they had more say in the decisions being made by the department because these people are on the water and are in know with what is going on.

I can't say that I agree with the direction that the Department is headed but this is likely the result of what took place before Chuck Bonham was put in charge. I do think he is a lot better than the previous director. I am hopeful that he will stand behind the anglers in this state but time only time will tell. I don't expect to agree with all the decisions that the DFG makes and I certainly did not agree with there recent proposal for private hatcheries. If approved it would have forced the operators of private fishing lakes and private hatcheries out of business. Although I don't fish paid lakes I sure would hate to see the Anglers who do lose these resources. This was an obvious attempt for the Department to raise a lot of money at the expense of others or perhaps just to force private hatcheries and lakes out of business. Please follow the link for details.

http://www.thelog.co...s-Gets-Rejected

Also do not support the DFGs plan to erradicate striped bass in the delta region. I am not saying that stripers don't contribute to the decline of the endangered Delta Smelt but really they two species have lived together for over 120 years. Its irresponsible for the Department to allow the Corpraculture Farming Industry to place blame on the striped bass for the decline in bay smelt so that they can continue to decimate all species of fish in the region by exporting all the water from the region to feed their large corporate farms.. The fact that the DFG has been going along with this plan to eliminate the striper fishery and their failure to address the fact that the water exports are to blame comes as a disappointment. Follow the link for the full the story.

http://blogs.alterne...-bass-proposal/

JerryG

I try now to keep away from this stuff, as it drives me nuts. I believe that I am a conservationist at heart as I wish my 6 year old son to have a fishery to enjoy with his kids in the years to come.

I'm located in Queensland, Australia which has or had some of the best fishing in the world. Like everywhere the human population continues to increase, fish catching technology improves and effectiveness of catch rates increases. Thankfully, the three minute goldfish memory thing is a pile of crap, and our fish stocks learn to avoid our capture techniques ensuring some breeding populations remain.

The biggest problems we face is poor science, and anti fishing groups being funded by the likes of USA's Puhe and Walmart trust, poorly funded education of the population, almost non-existant funding for rangers (it was so bad last year that the department couldn't afford to put regulation staff on for weekends in an area that has nearly 3 million people and the highest boat registration numbers in Australia.

If you have a moment please take a look at this link, I love the fact that fishers and hunters have stepped up as conservationists. http://www.bcwf.net/index.php

God love Canada, what we need to see is fishos coming to the forefront of the conservation debate and other wealthy trust funds coming to the fore, to support real research, not stuff that backs barely hidden alternative agenders. Mostly though we need to sort out our own local environment and this means from the mountains to the reefs, if the environment is good, breeding works and fish stocks rebound.

Mr Gates where the hell are you???