Sign in to follow this  
ravenlures

E-tex And Dye

9 posts in this topic

ravenlures    74

Does not seem to but I wonder about the cost. The dye is costly and if you are only going to use small amounts then less dye is needed, but on larger amounts it takes quite a bit to get rid of being transparent.

Lure--Prof    11

Does it affect the epoxy's strength or setting time?

Mark,

The short answer is yes, it has an effect. I compared lures coated from the same batch of epoxy recently, coating 2 lures from 1 teaspoon of BSI Finish-Cure, and coating the 3rd after mixing in 3 drops of fluorescent yellow soft plastic colorant in the remaining epoxy. I allowed the lures to turn all afternoon, and after about 8 hours I hung them from a small rack that is about 3 feet from a furnace vent from which they received occasional heat through the night. The next morning all were cured, but the yellow tinted one was not quite as hard as the other 2. While all would dent with slight pressure from a fingernail, the tinted lure was easier to dent. All dents soon disappeared.

From past experience, I expected this result. I know as well that the curing of the tinted epoxy can be accelerated with a hair dryer, from which I've never seen any ill effects. Left alone, all 3 lures continued to harden the next day, and by the time I scuffed them and painted them after the 3rd day, I didn't notice any appreciable difference.

If you're unfamiliar with Finish-Cure, compared to Devcon, this BSI epoxy retains more flexibility, but still cures nearly as hard, harder than E-tex, for example.

Dean

mark poulson    1,681
Mark, The short answer is yes, it has an effect. I compared lures coated from the same batch of epoxy recently, coating 2 lures from 1 teaspoon of BSI Finish-Cure, and coating the 3rd after mixing in 3 drops of fluorescent yellow soft plastic colorant in the remaining epoxy. I allowed the lures to turn all afternoon, and after about 8 hours I hung them from a small rack that is about 3 feet from a furnace vent from which they received occasional heat through the night. The next morning all were cured, but the yellow tinted one was not quite as hard as the other 2. While all would dent with slight pressure from a fingernail, the tinted lure was easier to dent. All dents soon disappeared. From past experience, I expected this result. I know as well that the curing of the tinted epoxy can be accelerated with a hair dryer, from which I've never seen any ill effects. Left alone, all 3 lures continued to harden the next day, and by the time I scuffed them and painted them after the 3rd day, I didn't notice any appreciable difference. If you're unfamiliar with Finish-Cure, compared to Devcon, this BSI epoxy retains more flexibility, but still cures nearly as hard, harder than E-tex, for example. Dean

Thanks.