Painter1

Grave Digger Jig

Cabelas introduced them in the late 80's I believe and they are mainly for walleye. By putting a minnow or plastic minnow or grub on the grave digger, the offering is drug on the bottom and the jig kicks up more sediment than a traditional jig to simulate and foraging bait fish. You can use them for bass but you must remember they don't use real stout hooks. I use them for river smallmouth fishing, if you use these to swim a grub, the slopped design of the jig actually makes it wobble on a straight retrieve adding a little more action to a grub. A friend of mine like to use it with these berkley minnows for his walleye fishing and actually bought most of mine, he says that he gets at least 25% more strikes on that minnow since he began using the grave digger.

Cabelas introduced them in the late 80's I believe and they are mainly for walleye. By putting a minnow or plastic minnow or grub on the grave digger, the offering is drug on the bottom and the jig kicks up more sediment than a traditional jig to simulate and foraging bait fish. You can use them for bass but you must remember they don't use real stout hooks. I use them for river smallmouth fishing, if you use these to swim a grub, the slopped design of the jig actually makes it wobble on a straight retrieve adding a little more action to a grub. A friend of mine like to use it with these berkley minnows for his walleye fishing and actually bought most of mine, he says that he gets at least 25% more strikes on that minnow since he began using the grave digger.

I've seen these but never thought about this application for the river smallies.

I've seen these but never thought about this application for the river smallies.

They work great with a grub for smallies cmayes, it gives them a noticeable wobble and the fish respond. I had 25 of them and my friend bought 20 of them but I kept 5 just for that one technique when I fish the river.

I'll definetly check into that mold. I've seen it in Barlow's.

I've used these exclusively for fishing the IL and WI rivers and they do catch fish. However most of the fish in the stretch of river are walleye and sauger. I will agree with Smalljaw, that when you drag these on the bottom, the sediment it displaces makes the fish think that there is bait food on the bottom. I use it with a fathead minnow and do quite well with these. However in the rivers I fish there is so much debris on the bottom, that I lose quite a few, that's why I pour them, cheaper than buying. Also on rivers my philosophy is if you're not on the bottom you're not going to catch fish but that's just me. If I'm catching fish, I don't have a problem losing some jigs.

Finally, try Zeiner's for the mold, their prices are usually cheaper than anyone on the web. Also call and ask for a price, don't go by what's posted on their website. They will usually give you a better price talking to them in person. Speak to Jim Zeiner.

Edited by cadman

Thanks fellers. I will look up Zeiners. I think it would give my fish a little different presentation. I don't know of any in my local circles that fish this jig. My rivers here are very rocky, lots of places for a craw to hide. I think that would work well too. That is why I got into pouring jigs, if I break 'em off I can make more.