nedyarb

Single Hook Crank?

Sebile is making some cranks with just one hook. Not sure how they're doing it, but the eye of the hook is affixed toward the rear of the lure in such a way as to let the hook move up and down. Check out the link below for some pictures.

Ben

http://www.tacklewar...page-DSCNK.html

Edited by RayburnGuy

I have done this with a single hook in the rear 2 different ways. The first was attached directly to the internal wire and pushed in to a large enough hole to accept the eye. I filled the hole with epoxy. The hook faced up like it would on a paddle tail soft plastic on a lead jig head. It works quite well for sinking lures that you want to drag on the bottom. The second way was with a short shank hooked up the traditional way. I bent the hook a little, in the middle of the shaft and mounted it so the point was up, so that when the lure is running horizontal, with the hook straight out, the point is lower in profile than the highest point on the top of the lure. This one I like most because I can burn it thru thick cover. I still have this one out in the tackle box. If I remember I will bring it in tomorrow to take a pic for ya.

Sonny

Do you mean "can I put just one treble hook on a crank?"? Because the term "single hook" usually means a hook with only one point, such as your typical worm hook. But I think you mean "only one treble" and the answer is yes, it will work without losing many fish. Put it on the rear of a crank. They nearly always take the back hook. They take either the back hook only, or both. And even then the front hooks pulls out half the time when you get 'em in close. I would say maybe 1 out of 50 bass take the front hook only ON A CRANK. Your species may vary. Topwaters and jerks will need all hooks - the bass often strike from below, aiming at the midsection and getting stuck only on the middle or front hook. And those 2 types of baits are far more sensitive to hook changes. Cranks not so much. You can run about as big as you want, which may actually improve your fish - landed ratio, as long as the lure runs right. You'll save even more money because you won't get hung as much, especially when fishing wood.

I sometimes put a single octopus hook on the rear of a small 1/4 oz fat balsa crankbait, and it works fine. I use a standard hook hanger and split ring so I can change out the hook if necessary. If you go that route, you need to pay attention to the hook hanger's direction when you make the bait so it sync's direction with the split ring and hook. You also need to be aware that many single hooks are heavier than the treble hook they will replace, and that will kill the action on a crankbait if you're not careful - so design the bait around the fact that you plan on using that style hook.

I have not had good results with a "single point hook" for the front hook. No matter how you mount it, the slop or play of the split ring will allow the point to lay against the body just when you need it most.

One exception to this is using bead chain and hanging the single hook well below the body. We do that for steelhead and salmon in the Pacific Northwest at times.

On the other hand, double hooks for the front hook do work for me.

Of course, on smaller lures, fatter profile lures, the Big O style if you will, a single hook for the rear is perfect most of the time.

I saw the Sebile lure on a tackle web site and it looks interesting. It is a Big O style of bait with the hook spring hinged through the center of the body, hook point up. As the fish takes the bait, pressure on the bottom of the lure pushes the hook up through the top. Unfortunately, it looks like a deep diver and I would only desire this type of lure on more shallow diver styles. Oh well........

I make single treble crankbaits since i mostly fish for smallies in rivers. They work great. Hook (usually a number 4) is typically in the middle of the (bottom of the) bait. I see no reason why it wouldnt work for a single prong hook, but youd prob want to orient hook hanger perpendicular to bait.

Thanks for the help everyone. An aquaintance of mine has been experimenting with some single hooks on store bought cranks. So I offered to make him a few with just the front hanger, and turning it sideways. I also will probably put the hanger a little bit further back on the belly than a normal lure. Rob

You could always use "inlines"... I make a lot of lures that swim single hooks.

inlinesingle.jpg

These are for lures that don't have the hangers lined up for singles, saves you having to run two split rings. These are dedicated hooks for lures so they are your best option.

Edited by ReelAppealLures

Has anybody ever built a single hook crank? I have been wondering if it would work. For me it would be more for the cost, and I hate trying to unhook a fish with two sets of trebles. Would it be better with a hook in the front, or just one in the rear?

I've done it, it works very well. and is very snag resistant. Like Sonny Barile said you can burn it through the brush and keeep on reeling.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/gallery/image/5318-half-half-series-ii/

i think if the crankbait is short compared to the treble that you want to use, you can use a single treble on the front.

if you choose to put a single treble on the back you maybe have to put some more weight in the belly of the bait to compensate for the missing treble, or not if you want it to have a slightly different action.