yellowdawg

Problems With Etex

I am having problems with airbrushing over powder paint on jigheads. I am able to scratch off the cretex paint after clear coating with etex. it is about to drive me crazy any ideas. it will only come off on the top of the jighead from the hook eye to the nose. even jigs that have been drying for weeks i am able to scratch

Properly mixed, Etex should set in 8 hours, and be harder after a couple of days.

My guess is the epoxy is too thin, or not there at all, on the part you can scratch.

If you are hanging the jigheads by the hookeye to cure, and not rotating them, the Etex is probably flowing down until it's super thin on the hookeye area.

I've always had to rotate anything I coated with Etex, because it takes 8 hours+- to set. And I always use at least 2 coats.

You might have better luck with D2T. It is more brittle, but it sets faster, so you don't have to rotate the lure/jig as long.

If you want to keep using Etex, try double coating the jigheads, and hanging them from the opposite end the second time.

Or use a lure turner for 8 hours.

Edited by mark poulson
  • Like 1

Powder paint is slick, so that is probably the reason. The Createx probably only coats the powder paint, without bonding, and so the epoxy also has nothing to bond to.

A question.

Why would you bother to powder paint, if you're going to paint over it with Createx?

If it's to give a base coat, a rattle can metal primer like Rustoleum would probably give the Createx a better bond. The epoxy is there to protect the paint anyway, so I would think the powder coating is an unnecessary step.

Epoxy thins-out over curved surfaces to the point that it is difficult to get any epoxy at all to stick to sharp angles. For example, when I'm scuffing a crankbait to prep it for either paint, or another epoxy coat, it is very easy to scuff through in the area on the nose of the lure. If you're doing 2 coats of epoxy, apply the second coat while the first is still a bit tacky so the 2 coats will bond and cure as one coat.