Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matador Customs

V Joint Groove Ideas Needed

5 posts in this topic

Im trying to figure out a faster more accurate way to make the v groove on my swimbaits sections. Im using the very edge of the round sanding disc from my belt sander to make these grooves and a little filing to get the job done. Kinda of a pain but it does work just not very consistent. How do you guys do it ?

If your using an adjustable table on the sanding disk I wouldnt think you can get much faster than that. JMO I have never really made a swim bait.

I usually use a table saw and mitre fence, with a plywood extension, to cut the joints most of the way through from each side while the blank is still a rectangle. That is the most consistent and accurate way I've found.

If I want to add joints to a bait later, either I do it freehand on the bandsaw, or use a dovetail saw to cut them by hand.

Edited by mark poulson
1 person likes this

You might try a router table with a v groove bit its about a 30 deg angle and can be repeated over and over just make a master out of scraps

Edited by crankpaint

Being a machinist and working with cnc lathes and mills ive used several methods already to make my swimbaits, and thought of a way to mill

These grooves on a drill press with a milling vise and some kind of angled endmill or carbide cutter just have to put my ideas to practice.