maachuu

I Have Tried Numerous Ways Of Making The

It takes almost as much skill cutting out good stencils, as airbrushing skills. I've trashed dozens of stencils til I got something I was happy with. With practice it gets easier. If it's bleeding through, it sounds like your spraying too heavy a coat at once. Spray light coats, drying between coats. If you have a duel action brush, use the air from the brush to dry each coat. Press the trigger down, pull back til paint lightly sprays out, then let the trigger go all the way forward til only air is coming out, to dry the paint you just applied. Doing this you can build up paint in a hurry, without bleeding. After removing stencil hit with blow dryer.

Edited by Gentle

Try using something called FRISKET for making stencils - it's designed exactly for that. It's a thin plastic film, adhesive on one side, with a peel-off paper backing. Easy to cut with an X-acto knife. A big roll of frisket costs around $10-12 and in the small amounts we use on crankbaits, a roll will last years and years.

When I first got some, I tried using the frisket as advertised, i.e., draw your pattern on the paper, cut it out, peel off the backing, and stick it on the lure. Problem: the adhesive tends to pull paint off the lure when you remove it. A better Plan B: leave the paper backing on the frisket, just hold it against the lure and shoot your paint. Wipe the frisket dry, flip it over and do the other side of the lure. Benefits: you get exactly the same detail on both sides of the lure; the stencil becomes re-usable and will last indefinitely for other lures. I have a library of stencils now and rarely need to cut a new one.