anamealreadyinuse

Scaled Sardine Blank Help

Thanks to everyone for the help, so glad to find the TU. My son and I normally carve our own baits as part of the fun out of basswood. We are keen to try to build a common bait we call whitebait that is literally our favorite bait to use in our saltwater back bay fishing grounds. I'd like to try a pre-purchased bait on this one to get a good working model. Can anyone suggest a blank that looks similar to this photo that you know works well?

http://floridasportfishing.com/magazine/baitfish-profiles/scaled-sardine.html

Thanks for your help!

If you've got a photo editing program on your computer it's pretty simple to make templates for anything you can find a picture of. Just find an image you like and save it to the file of your choice. Open the file in your photo software and erase the background saving just the image of what your wanting to use as a template. Be sure to save a master copy of the image. Then it's just a matter of sizing the image to the appropriate size and printing it out. After printing is done glue the image to a stiff paper backing (shoe boxes work great for this) and cut it out with a pair of scissors once the glue dries. You now have a template that can be used over and over.

Ben

I am not aware of any blanks with a profile that could easily be worked to that general shape. Most would take more time than just cutting blanks. If you don't have the tools you might be able to work out a deal with someone to rough cut some blanks. They would be quick to knock out even with the rough keel shape. I prefer a more permanent template that allows me to mark lip, hook hangers, etc... I make all my templates from wood. Once I make that template it lasts much longer and reduces the things I don't like about paper products (overall wear, soft around transitions, and template height just to name a few). I like to have all the key information on my templates also. The lip slot, hook hanger, etc... and eventually I will put he weight needed and wood types on the template face also. I transfer it with all the markings and knock out the blanks.

DSC_0115-1.jpg

That Mirrorlure shad does look like a winner. Thanks for the tip Ray, I've been using envelopes as a template and its too flimsy, that shoe box idea sounds like a winner. Crank, that shad looks AWESOME! Where did you get the blank for that?

I made the blank out of wood and weighted it along the bottom edge by drilling holes thru the blank becouse the bottom edge is so thin,i did most of the shaping on my belt sander look up alwives on the web and copy the shape of it for a fast shape to work with

Edited by crankpaint