TSuprum

Any Way To Make A Jerkbait Suspend Less

Why jerkbaits? I would shift my strategy a bit. If the water is stained, not muddy, and the fish are that shallow the bite can't be too bad nor the water too cold. If the entire pond is that shallow it probably holds no bass. If it were me I would throw square bills, slow sinking lipless cranks (lift and drop - for some reason this catches bigger fish). Maybe a chatterbait. Soft jerk baits such as the Lunker City Fin-s Fish or Shad Asassin by Bass Assasin as the water warms near 60. I like to rig them with both the hook eye and knot buried in the bait for fishing through scum.

If you have a scummy bottom in your way, and your cranks are always getting slimed, lipless cranks would probably work well. Just lift the rod tip before they hit bottom.

I apologize if this veering off topic, as you probably want your baits to suspend anyway, but I would save the Pointers and whatnot for deeper, clear water.

The only time I would fish those is when you have murky water and a warming trend. The bait and bass will suspend in the warm top foot or three of water, sometimes near the middle of a cove, and you can kill them with a shallow diving jerk during these times.

If you want a lure retriever that will work from the bank, get some of these. I have tried them and they work:

Also you might ask local bass pros and see if somebody can teach you the bowstringing technique - once you get the hang of it you can get 90% or more of your stuck baits back.

I can tell you the lake I fish is full of bass in the 1 to 4 foot range. There's no deeper structure. IMHO is the best bassing fishing lake in northern NJ. The lake is old farm land that was flooded 80+ years ago. It's basically a bowl. 2 area's have rock banks that were placed there to strengthen the land/dike. It doesn't matter if the temperature of the water is 8 or 80 these areas hold fish.

And yes rattle baits, paddle tail plastic swimbaits and square bill and coffin bill baits work well but to me nothing works as well as a suspending stick when the water turns cold. It's no fun walking in the water when it's below 45 degree's.

The lure retreiver your showing, I just seen that one in bass times and want to get it. Also there was a tip from one of the pro's to get a retractable dog leash. I going to try that also.

But my main goal is to have fun trying to modify the lures so I don't need a lure retriever or have to get wet, :)

http://lake-parsippany.org/index.htm

or do google earth to see what I mean

If you are set up to do repaints, you might strip one of your LC jerks down to clear plastic to determine where the rattle chambers are and how many. Then, drill out another identical model with the paint and clear left on (since both affect buoyancy), taking away as many balls as needed from each chamber, so you don't mess up the balance. You may have to swap the stock size balls for a smaller size or some combination of removing and swapping sizes. If you don't have an industrial supply try a good bicycle shop, they often sell them by the piece.

You might want to mark the temp the bait suspends at on the back, it will only suspend within a range of a few degrees.

A bait that suspends at 45 might sink slowly at 50. Colder water is denser, so it "holds the bait up" better.

A bait that floats very slowly at 45 might suspend at 50.

Now, if you just want them to run shallower, I don't have the answer to that. I have replaced jerkbait bills with my own to make them run deeper with good results, converting shallow models to 15 foot runners, cutting bill slots at different angles than stock. But I've never just shaven down a bill.

Have you tried adding weight to a square bill so that it has a very slow rise? My experience is they hardly get bit out of the box in cold water, add weight and you're catching bass. They really thump it, too. A lot easier than getting a jerk to suspend!!! A weighted square bill will get hung a lot less than even a floating jerk, too.

You'll like those lure retrievers. If you don't attach a line to it you'll prolly get 4-5 baits back for every plug knocker lost in the lake, but that's a lot of lucky craft money.

If you are set up to do repaints, you might strip one of your LC jerks down to clear plastic to determine where the rattle chambers are and how many. Then, drill out another identical model with the paint and clear left on (since both affect buoyancy), taking away as many balls as needed from each chamber, so you don't mess up the balance. You may have to swap the stock size balls for a smaller size or some combination of removing and swapping sizes. If you don't have an industrial supply try a good bicycle shop, they often sell them by the piece.

You might want to mark the temp the bait suspends at on the back, it will only suspend within a range of a few degrees.

A bait that suspends at 45 might sink slowly at 50. Colder water is denser, so it "holds the bait up" better.

A bait that floats very slowly at 45 might suspend at 50.

Now, if you just want them to run shallower, I don't have the answer to that. I have replaced jerkbait bills with my own to make them run deeper with good results, converting shallow models to 15 foot runners, cutting bill slots at different angles than stock. But I've never just shaven down a bill.

Have you tried adding weight to a square bill so that it has a very slow rise? My experience is they hardly get bit out of the box in cold water, add weight and you're catching bass. They really thump it, too. A lot easier than getting a jerk to suspend!!! A weighted square bill will get hung a lot less than even a floating jerk, too.

You'll like those lure retrievers. If you don't attach a line to it you'll prolly get 4-5 baits back for every plug knocker lost in the lake, but that's a lot of lucky craft money.

I like the idea of weighting a square bill. I have suspend strips. How many do you add to a lure say the size of a KVD 1.5?

With plug knockers, has anyone else ever tried using a spark plug. I have but never save a lure with it. Maybe you need 2 or 3? Stacy King had that one time in an article for tips on getting plugs back.

I will be setup to do repaints. I bought a house in July and I'm just getting finished with the important stuff. What do I mean by important stuff, the stuff the WIFE will quite nagging me to get done, lol

I have the airbrush, compressor, water catcher, lines and paint. Now I just need to setup my man cave. This will be my first attempt at airbrushing. I have used fingernail polish and perminate markers.

I guess I still need a lure turner. I have seen/read that a Barbaque rotiserre is good. Is that a good thing to use? Any other idea's?

Edited by TSuprum

I like the idea of weighting a square bill. I have suspend strips. How many do you add to a lure say the size of a KVD 1.5?

Dunno. I just cut up whatever sinkers I have on hand and stuff them into the belly. I am the mad hacker. 1/8 oz, give or take?

With plug knockers, has anyone else ever tried using a spark plug. I have but never save a lure with it. Maybe you need 2 or 3? Stacy King had that one time in an article for tips on getting plugs back.

Doesn't work real great.