nedyarb

Dupli-color Lacquer Top Coat?

When I first got interested in painting baits, I used lacquer in rattle cans. I never tried the Dupli-Color in a quart can (only areosol). I was not pleased with the result because it seemed to never harden completely. As far as lacquer's compatibility with water based products.....the "rule" says if you're using lacquer...stick to lacquer. I do know that if you used a lacquer-based clear over a solvent-based paint...it will curl bigtime. Not sure about acrylic, tho.

• Like 1

If your using Creatix Autoair colors You shouldn"t Have a problem, As long as everything has dried properly. I'm new to tu and takle making but have just finished my first 4 baits and I used dupliclor acrylic enamel Clear gloss and their Mettallic clear gloss in spray cans with good quick results, will be moving to the epoxy side of things in the near future. In the past On vehichles and such using creatix auto air for tape outs, I could clear with any automotive clear and all was fine.Might want to check out creatix web site for compatibles.Good luck.

I actually spray them then just let them hang dry. I shoots really thin so it doesn't take much. Dipping would be easier. But then I feel you would have to put them on a drying wheel.
I wouldn't think you'd have to use a turner with a lacquer topcoat. Like you said, it's so thin, and, it dries faster than any other product you could use. I dipped a lure in polyurethane just to see what happened and, hanging it, there were no runs, drips or errors. And, polyurethane takes alot longer to tack. Edited by saltshaker

Well here is what I found so far. It does not dry rock hard, I can peel it off with my finger nail, and it has a real strong odor. I actually want to try the DN s81 but nobody will respond to my emails. I have sent 3 in the past 2 weeks. Apparently they don't need any business.

Ned, I feel your frustration. As I stated earlier in this thread, the durability of the lacquer was my main concern. Two weeks after applying it, the stuff was still not hard. The bait was laying on a piece of cardboard and it actually stuck to it. It was not because it wasn't mixed properly (I shot it right out of the can) and I applied it within the temperature and humidity boundaries. Frankly, I just do not have any confidence in it.

There is a thread here about a product called Garco. It is a moisture cure urethane. I've used it and Brad swears by it. I painted a bait solid white and dipped it in the Garco. I used the white to check for yellowing. The stuff is easy to apply (just dip and hang it) and it dries ROCK HARD. It has been about 5-6 weeks since I did the bait and, I swear, the stuff seems to get harder every day. The color is still the same as it was before applying the topcoat, so, I'm convinced it is 100% non-yellowing. Problem is.....you cannot apply it directly over a bait that has been foiled or has a water slide decal. There will be a reaction and the results will not be in your favor. :) It works great over acrylic paint, however. There is that storage issue that looms with all moisture cure urethanes, but, I would highly recommend it. The way I see it....if it's good enough for Brad...it's good enough.

Good luck, buddy.