gordon

Christmas Gift Wrap

I just finished wrapping Christmas pressies for the Missus, the easy way - stick it in a bag and stuff some fancy tissue over it :-)

We have a huge box full of gift wrapping and tissue including a lot of different metallic thin mylar type tissue, a lot is also holographic and looks really cool.

Has anyone had any success using this in place of foil on hardbaits?

Pete (Hazmail) has a thread about using Mylar in the "Hard Bait How To" section I believe. Husky has a tutorial covering photo over foil using tissue paper. It's also in the "Hard Bait How To" section.

One problem I've read about when using the Mylar is that it has no stretch and is hard to wrap around contours without leaving wrinkles. Can't remember how Pete solved that problem. Look up his tutorial and give it a read.

Ben

I've used it on a few baits ,like ben said it works on flat sided baits really well if you super glue it down i get no wrinkles that way and you can chang the look of it by what you use as a base coat under it but it won't change much the gold/silver halograme maylar makes a good color and flash on the baits theres a bait i called thin shad in the gallery thats made this way,it was a test bait that i thru together to check how to weight a thin bait as for rounder baits you can use it but have to hold the maylar till the glue drys and can hold it in place,Then cut the extra off the bait alot more work then foil time wise,I'm still trying a few other things to see if its worth using I'll post my findings under the post i made about the tissue paper in hard baits

I got a mylar gift wrapped popper in a fly swap back in the days of virtual flybox that looks absolutely fantastic. Where can you find can you find this kinda gift wrap? I haven't seen it in wal mart or hobby lobby. I'd love to stock up during the boxing day sales!

Jimbo

One source for Mylar would be those big party balloons. Not sure if it's the same stuff as what your talking about, but it would be worth looking into.

Ben

One source for Mylar would be those big party balloons. Not sure if it's the same stuff as what your talking about, but it would be worth looking into.

Ben

The popper I'm thinking of had black paint under some transparent mylar gift wrap and it resulted in a very interesting iridescent peacock green color. I've yet to see any of this clear mylar gift wrap for sale.