Bester

Paint Delaminated Off Lure

I made some musky lures for my cousin. I shoot water based paints and clear with old Dick Nites. It seems that a fish breached the clear and the paint came off the entire lure. I dip my lures in wood hardener, put a white base coat on and go. My question is is there anything I can do to my process to keep this from happening or at least minimize this? I don't have a paint booth so going to laquer is pretty much out. Thanks for any suggestions

Bester

I am not a pro like some of the other guys here but I had a similar incident and found that I had some oil or something that caused my failure. I cleaned the wood with steel wool and DNA (extreme for sure)

I also heat set all my paints now regardless of type and make. I use a hair dryer at a high temp. So far so good.

It sounds like the paint did not bond and the heat treatment will solve some of those issues

Failures like that can be hard to diagnose but my guess is that some part of your finish absorbed water and pushed the finish off the bait. Perhaps the DN moisture cured urethane did not soak through the other finish coats down to the undercoat as it usually does, leaving an element of the underlying finish vulnerable to water absorption. Most of us use some kind of a "Devil's Brew" of finishes so it's impossible to predict which combinations of coatings will work until we try them. One reason a thick epoxy topcoat is popular on musky baits is that prevents teeth from ever penetrating to the underlying finish layers. If water never gets below the topcoat, the finish will never delaminate.

• Like 1

Bester what wood type?

which primer?. muskys and using musky baits will always be poked from hard teeth and joint wear from trolling speeds.. thees several variables that lead to paint peel. oh ya. everyone does run into this if there building musky lures.

regionally also, temperaturs of water being fished also can create issues.