crankpaint

Paint Reducer

Just found a recipe for reducer as follows

12oz distilled water

4oz denatured alcohal

4oz amonia free window cleaner

10 drops glycerin

the guys swear by it some have used it for over 10 years

i'm going to give it a shot,but was wondering what you guys/gals use for your paint?

Edited by crankpaint

i normally just use the 4011 reducer with auto air paints and the wicked reducer for wicked and standard createx paints - ive looked at maybe trying home made reducers but ive been pleased with the mfg's reducers and am beginning to have a good feel for the paint consistancy using them so im a lil gunshy to change

Just found a recipe for reducer as follows

12oz distilled water

4oz denatured alcohal

4oz amonia free window cleaner

10 drops glycerin

the guys swear by it some have used it for over 10 years

i'm going to give it a shot,but was wondering what you guys/gals use for your paint?

I've tried it and compared it to the concoction RayburnGuy mentioned. The reducer using the Pledge with Future does work considerably better. I believe the reason being there are less variables with humidity and amount of Glycerin to use. I have 60% Future and 40% distilled water in a spray bottle and thin as/if necessary. I have actually found that the more experience I gain from painting, the less I'm needing to thin.

I've been using the Future floor polish for awhile now and it works fine but I have an issue with it. When mixed with Future, some Createx airbrush paints precipitate their solids into a hard, un-mixable layer at the bottom of the bottle during storage. That pretty much renders the paint worthless. I never know which paints will do this. One that has is the Createx Neon Yellow. Has anyone else had this experience?

It seems that the You-Tube video is no longer there. The original formula is 50% Createx paint 30% Pledge w/Future Shine and 20% water. I find that in most cases Createx/Auto Air does not need that much thinning if any at all unless you really need to turn down the air and get very close. What has been working for me is about 60-40 Pledge to water and then thinning to my liking. Others might have different ways but this is what works for me. Clean and backwash real good in between colors as the Pledge will account for quicker clogging.

Anybody wanting to try out the reducing using Pledge with Future Shine should note that there is a version for wood floors and another for tile floors. You want the one for tile floors. Also here is a link to the ingredients:

http://www.whatsinsidescjohnson.com/en-us/products-by-brand/pledge/pledge-tile--vinyl-floor-finish-with-future-shine-1.aspx

Bottle states that an acrylic is used for the shine protection. So clean out your airbrush as advised in other postings as soon as your done. Otherwise you will have a clear sealed coating inside your airbrush. So far I haven't had any issues with createx paints and reducer compatiblity. But I try to only mix up what I need to not have to store paints ( I got enough junk around already) and pour out the mix thru a strainer into the airbrush vessel. I got a paint strainer and cut out the filter part the size of the paint bottle cap and put the filter between the cap and bottle. I got some 2 and 4 ounce bottles with the flip up nozzles.