23 replies to this topic

#21 mark poulson

mark poulson

Advanced Member

• TU Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,788 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

I cut out the profile and lip slot with the bandsaw, and then shape it with an occilating belt sander.
I carve it with an exacto knife. As long as it's sharp, a carving knife will work fine on PVC.

Are you using the decking or the trimboard. I find the decking to be close to poplar in buoyancy, and the trimboard close to balsa.
I made several deep divers out of the trimboard, and they back up and out as fast as the Rapala DT 16's.

#22 JBlaze

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Mark, I am using the trimboard, I found it at Home Depot several years ago when I was looking for the decking that you spoke of.

#23 Arkie

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

I'm looking to build-up and reshape a few older wooden baits. I need to know what you guys recommend using to do this. Also, any pointers would be welcome. Wood filler? Bondo? Epoxy?

#24 markinorf

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts
Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:57 PM

Have any of you balsa builders tried the AZEK trimboard?
I have been using their decking for years (thank you JRHopkins), but I recently tried their trimboard and was amazed!
It's even more buoyant than the decking, but still strong and totally waterproof.
It has cut sealing completely out of my lure building, and I never have to worry about water intrusion.
I don't own stock in AZEK, and I'm not sponsored by them.
I just found something to make my lure building easier and faster, and I think sharing stuff is what TU is all about.

Thanks Mark! Looks like I got some topwaters to get started on.