MrCribbss

Groove And Tongue Joints

hello im new to this place and so far ive found some great info.

i recently started making lures and i would like to make a wooden jointed lure now. i really like the groove and tongue joints but how can i make them able to move very easily?

i was thinking about putting a steel or plastic tube trough the tongue part to make the rotating easier but i dont know if thats a good idea.

greets from Holland,

Chris

if you use a tube use brass becouse it wont rust up the plastic tube will wear out sooner or later ,the tube will work if you glue it into the hole it becomes part of the bait so that should'nt be an issue the water will lube the hinge pin you use to put the bait together.,theres also a tutorial on making a pvc swim bait that might help you out and shows how to put in a plastic hinge?

Chris,

Just be sure you seal the hole for the tube really well before you glue it in.

Water loves to get into wooden baits, and create havoc with the top coat and paint job.

Sealing the wood so it's totally waterproof is very important, and, for me, very hard to do.

That's why I recommend that you look into using PVC instead of wood. It's totally waterproof.

It makes it simple to create a fool-proof bait. I'm living proof of that! :wink:

Edited by mark poulson

thanks, i think ill try the brass tube and seal it with somekind of coating before putting it in. pvc is very easy to work with, but im not sure if it will withstand alot of pike teeth. they are what i mainly fish for. anyone experience with this? ill upload some pictures of my lures as soon as im finished painting