swarma

Overseas Hardbait Blanks?

Hello everyone,

I am planning on painting some blank lures and I came across these blanks:

http://wlure.com/product_info.php?products_id=176

upc691.jpg

They reminded me of the Megabass cranks and they were ridiculously cheap ($0.60, free ship), so I picked up a few. Sine they are from overseas, I think they'll take a long time to get here, but I couldn't resist. Has anyone fished these blanks before? If so, how did they work? Also, is this website a good website to purchase blanks from? I have not bought blank lures before and I am sort of new to this. I've tried my hand at hand-carving, it was fun but very time-consuming. Also, if there are better blank lure websites to try, please let me know! I would like to find some blank versions of the Megabass Anthrax, if at all possible.

swarma, I think your source resells Chinese-produced plastic knockoffs. The pic is a knockoff of a Megabass Griffin. I've never used your source but I've tried the same bait from another reseller and my opinion is the same as SMALLIEHUNTER - buyer beware. Chinese knockoffs copy the externals of a high quality Japanese bait but not the important internals - type and thickness of plastic, ballast amount and placement, internal compartments, etc. The construction quality is often poor. So if you are hoping to get a $25 Japanese crankbait for 60 cents, you are going to be disappointed.

I'm not saying all knockoffs are bad. Some work OK even if they don't really imitate the original. But my experience has been so spotty that I recommend you hang some trebles on them as soon as they arrive and test them on the lake to see if they are worth painting.

fishinnbama, I hesitate to name suppliers because I've only tried some baits from several sources. You might pick different baits and have a different experience. I have liked baits from Janns Netcraft and also had good luck with Japanese-made knockoffs (which go for $4-5) from Bustin Bass Baits.