• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nedyarb

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

I am new to painting, I am curious what the deal is with opaque and translucent colors. How are they different than regular paint. I am looking at createx colors, and wondering if I should try them. Thanks Rob

#2 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

Opaque colors suspend pigment in a solid base. Transparent colors suspend pigment in a clear base. In practice, there is overlap between the two. A light spray of opaque will show the color underneath it, but not as much as a light spray of transparent. On the other hand, a heavy spray of transparent will cover an underlying color as well as a medium spray of opaque. I tend to use opaques for my base colors like white, neon yellow, and black, and transparent for everything else, which I sometimes want to layer for intermediate color effects.

#3 gunnie3035

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:49 AM

What Bob is saying is opaques are solid non-see through colors. Transparents are just that you can see through them somewhat. Sort of like a thinned down version of the opaque but better to use for fading. About the only opaque colors I use are white & black.