smallcal

Repaint Rat-l-traps?

I'm an absolute Newbie to the whole painting thing, but have several older Rat-l-traps that have paint damage laying around and see the inexpensive factory seconds on the web. Figured since I have some laying around that are damaged, I would try it. Few questions:

- Is this a good place to start for learning to airbrush lures?

- Do you need to strip the existing paint off before starting? If so, how would you accomplish that?

- Has anyone purchased the "factory seconds due to paint imperfections" online and have an opinion one way or the other?

Thanks in advance.

First off, welcome to TU, the 8th Wonder of the World. By using the "Search" function, you can find a wealth of info to answer just about any question you have concerning airbrushing.

As for the Rats, e-bay has several "lots" for sale.

Here's one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45pc-Lot-Original-Rat-L-Trap-Lure-Bodies-1985-1994-Rattle-Trap-Floater-/350515518167?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item519c5a5ad7

Good luck.

To me, paint stripping depends on how much you need to keep the buoyancy of the bait constant (suspending baits) and the condition of the existing paint. On a Rattle Trap, buoyancy is not an issue but I would sand any chipped, scratched, or oxidized paint so you start with a smooth hard surface. For new paint to adhere properly, all the old finish should be lightly sanded and then wiped down with denatured alcohol. That removes oxidation and gives the surface some "tooth" to promote better paint adhesion. In practice, it's hard to do spot repairs to perfection on old baits so I often end up stripping plastic baits completely. Wood baits are a whole 'nother story. I never want to strip a wood bait down to bare wood. I usually strip paint mechanically with a small thin sharp blade (I use a small Swiss Army knife) by getting the blade just under the finish and lifting/popping/peeling the finish off the lure. It takes a little finesse but you can usually strip a bass lure in 15 mins. Less for a chrome Rattle Trap since that finish will peel very easily. A refinement I haven't tried but has been recommended by other TU'ers is to run a torch over the lure quickly enough to bubble the finish without catching it on fire or causing the lure to swell. Hot old finish comes off much easier than cold old finish. Some pros shops remove old finish in a blast cabinet.

Welcome to the dark side. This is a great sight to learn about airbrushing just use the search feature, about the only two things we all agree on in this forsaken "HOBBY" is Patience and Practice. Just shoot shoot shoot, then shoot some more! You will find it gets easier and much more addictive the more you do it. As far as stripping the baits, its not necessary, but overall your baits will have a cleaner final look if your are using old baits. A lot of us use seconds or blanks, one thing to keep in mind when using these though, "Seconds" are seconds for a reason, usually the paint, but occasionally because they won't run true. But if you're just trying to learn or starting out, they are a great inexpensive starting tool. Good Luck, bb

Thank you for the quick responses! Have been reading here for a long time, finally posted, and only because I couldn't find anything on Rat-l-Traps. The site is a great source of information and has fed the disease... :lol:

Figured if I was pouring jigs, etc., might as well get some airbrush equipment to accent the powder paint, and if I get the airbrush equipment, might as well get some lures to paint, and since I'm ordering, might as well get some moulds to pour plastics to round it all out...(for those of you with young kids, it feels like the "if you give a ____ a _____" books, at least I'm getting something out of them!)

With three young kids loosing terminal tackle all of the time, figure this is the only way we can afford to fish more than once a month!

Thanks again.

This is the spot to learn how to do anything as far as a bait is concerned.

You have been warned. No one leaves here the way they came in

just sayin......

your right there,first it repainting your old lures,then your friends,then there friends and so on ........

then you have to try carving a bait.......just never ends but its fun and thats what counts..

Just as a quick update, ordered from the guy selling 50 for $24.95, received 19 - 2.5", 28 - 3", 4 - 3.5", 2 - 1.75" (53 total). Great deal, some just need clips and hooks to be fishable, of course it wouldn't be fun if I did it that way...

Next paycheck comes the airbrush and paints...early stages of the disease...

Thanks, will continue reading, learning and preparing.

Now can't wait for spring on Sandy Pond (NY) and Goudin Reservoir (Quebec) this summer!

Edited by smallcal