retrobass

Airbrush Pressure Regulator

This is a bit of a noob question, but I'm about to do my first airbrushing. I have a paschee double action airbrush and a compressor I've had about 10 years and never actually used. The compressor is a Badger Model 80-2, Whirlwind II. I don't see any way to adjust pressure on the compressor so I assume I need some sort of pressure regulator? How much pressure should it be pushing if I just hook it straight up to the airbrush? Will it be ok to try it like this without a regulator?

Thanks,

Jimbo

Like Brent said, you will need a Regulator and moisture trap. I run my regulator wide open most times, but after a days painting, I have about a 1/2" of water in the trap. And water blasting a almost finished bait really bites!. You may also think about a dryer filter depending on your humidity level up there.

Your compressor turns on whenever you activate the airbrush's trigger. Most lure painters use airbrush pressure in the 10-45 psi range, so you need a regulator. Regulators have a dial control and a pressure indicator dial, and many also have a built-in moisture trap. If you go to Sears or Home Depot, you can find one in the air tool department for around $20-25. You don't need an air tank on this type of system. As you gain experience in lure painting, you may want to upgrade your system to a common tool compressor or an airbrush compressor that incorporates an air storage tank. The storage tank lets the compressor runs less often and buffers its output to eliminate air pulsing as the compressor works. But your present system will work "as is". Don't forget to pick up the necessary standard male/female hose adapters when you get the regulator and use some plumber's tape on the threads to make up an air-tight system.

Thanks for all the great info, I'm really excited to get this thing going. Reckon there's a chance the local ace hardware will have a regulator? I'm thinking of taking the whole thing down there to see if I can get the regulator/moisture trap and fittings at the same time.

Ran into town and got a regulator and filter, about to assemble it all and maybe try it out tonight with some thinned down createx. Probably going to just cut it a little with water and strain it with panty hose. Also got some amonia free windex to clean it all up with. Gotta say, I'm a little nervous that I'll blow something up. For the 'backwashing' procedure I keep reading about, do you just cover up the tip of the brush and pull the trigger?

Ran into town and got a regulator and filter, about to assemble it all and maybe try it out tonight with some thinned down createx. Probably going to just cut it a little with water and strain it with panty hose. Also got some amonia free windex to clean it all up with. Gotta say, I'm a little nervous that I'll blow something up. For the 'backwashing' procedure I keep reading about, do you just cover up the tip of the brush and pull the trigger?

Yes sir.

Lowes

Air regulator http://www.lowes.com...ator&facetInfo=

Home Depot

air drier http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

Air regulator http://www.homedepot...catalogId=10053

IMO, if you have to buy a tank and a regulator you should probably by a new air compressor with both on them already.

This is not local, but something like it might be cheaper and cost less.

http://www.amazon.co...25682922&sr=8-3

Edited by archeryrob