saiyani

Scroll Saw Question

Hi all,

I am just starting out with lure building and have made a few lure shapes with hand tools. I am considering buying a scroll saw for lure and lip (lexan) cutting and would appreciate a little help on the subject. I live in Sweden and haven't found a great variety of scroll saws available here. I did find the following one however and wondered what you guys thought.

http://www.proxxon.com/eng/html/27094.php

One concern I have is that it only has 2 speeds. Do you think this will cause me any problems when cutting soft or hard woods or lexan?

Other than that it would appear to suit my needs although I'm new to lure building and scroll saws so I might be missing something :) Any help advice or recommendations would be appreciated.

I also recommend a small band saw for its speed but have used only a scroll saw for 10 years now, and yes - it gets the job done. Just slower! It will cut soft woods like balsa as quickly as you want. Hard stuff like basswood or cedar can be tedious and hardwood thicker than 1" is very tedious. If you are going to be making more baits than just a few at a time as a hobby, a band saw is definitely indicated. If you are going to be making larger baits for pike, also go with the band saw. If you want to cut out Lexan lips, again the band saw is better. A scroll saw will cut Lexan but wants to grab and lift the Lexan off the table on the upstroke, which is not a good thing. I cut my lips out with simple metal snips.

Thanks very much for all the replies.

The band saw it is then...no question about it :) I will now look around before I buy, just to see what other band saws I can find that are available here in Sweden.

@ Littleriver:

I have both saws and find the band saw far more useful.

Do you mean you actually have the Proxxon machines above or some other brand? If you have the Proxxon how do you find it?

Thanks again all.