MaxRV

Simple, Cheap, And Effective Lure Turner

Well, I just started airbrushing crankbaits, and quickly realized that I did not have a lure turner. Looking at the various sites and videos, I saw numerous, large, complex turners, yet nothing that was simple, inexpensive, compact and effective. Wondering out to the garage, I was determined to create something, and began my search for supplies. Suddenly I remembered that I was throwing out that old mechanical Christmas yard-deer. You know, the white one with the head that goes up and down. Well, I pulled the motor off of that. Making a long story short, I then cut about a 10" piece off of an old graphite golf shaft, and made sure that would fit snugly over the shaft on the small motor. Next, I grabbed an old 6"X10" plastic tackle case, a handful of paperclips, some epoxy, and a soldering iron. To assemble my Frankenstein Lure Turner, I took the soldering gun and melted a hole in each side of the tackle case in a position that would position the motor flush with the bottom of the case. It is key to set the motor flush with the bottom half of the case, vice the hinged top of the case. This will ensure that the motor serves to bolster the stability of the case. Next I poke the golf shaft through the two holes in the case, and pressed it onto the motor shaft. To ensure it fit snugly, I added one layer of duck tape to the motor shaft. Lastly, I glued the paper clips to the shaft, making sure to off-set them for balance, and that's it. Aside from a couple of screws (that mounted the motor to the deer), there is no major assembly other than attaching the parts. This thing literally cost nothing other that the scrap used. I can dry several lures at a time, and the speed is absolutely perfect. Check out the picture. Feel free to contact me if you would like more details. Junk hunting time 10 minutes. Assembly 10 minutes. Simple. Also, that is the second crankbait I've painted. I am open to any comments, tips, recommendations.

MaxRV

Bait Turner.jpg

Bait Turner.jpg

Bait Turner.jpg

Bait Turner.jpg

Bait Turner.jpg

Bait Turner.jpg

Bait Turner.jpg

Bait Turner.jpg

post-28399-0-21372800-1325718785_thumb.jpg

Well, I just started airbrushing crankbaits, and quickly realized that I did not have a lure turner. Looking at the various sites and videos, I saw numerous, large, complex turners, yet nothing that was simple, inexpensive, compact and effective. Wondering out to the garage, I was determined to create something, and began my search for supplies. Suddenly I remembered that I was throwing out that old mechanical Christmas yard-deer. You know, the white one with the head that goes up and down. Well, I pulled the motor off of that. Making a long story short, I then cut about a 10" piece off of an old graphite golf shaft, and made sure that would fit snugly over the shaft on the small motor. Next, I grabbed an old 6"X10" plastic tackle case, a handful of paperclips, some epoxy, and a soldering iron. To assemble my Frankenstein Lure Turner, I took the soldering gun and melted a hole in each side of the tackle case in a position that would position the motor flush with the bottom of the case. It is key to set the motor flush with the bottom half of the case, vice the hinged top of the case. This will ensure that the motor serves to bolster the stability of the case. Next I poke the golf shaft through the two holes in the case, and pressed it onto the motor shaft. To ensure it fit snugly, I added one layer of duck tape to the motor shaft. Lastly, I glued the paper clips to the shaft, making sure to off-set them for balance, and that's it. Aside from a couple of screws (that mounted the motor to the deer), there is no major assembly other than attaching the parts. This thing literally cost nothing other that the scrap used. I can dry several lures at a time, and the speed is absolutely perfect. Check out the picture. Feel free to contact me if you would like more details. Junk hunting time 10 minutes. Assembly 10 minutes. Simple. Also, that is the second crankbait I've painted. I am open to any comments, tips, recommendations.

MaxRV

Ain't this stuff fun? :yay:

MaxRV, you killed Bambi!!! Hahaha

He just unplugged him, Mark.

I should be receiving the Iwata-Medea Revolution HP BR I ordered shortly. Hopefully I can get it without the wife seeing I got another package, or she may kill me. This stuff is both fun and dangerous. :)

I should be receiving the Iwata-Medea Revolution HP BR I ordered shortly. Hopefully I can get it without the wife seeing I got another package, or she may kill me. This stuff is both fun and dangerous. :)

I just told my wife that I was sellin' 'em on Craig's list for $100 each. :?:nono: When I received my last order of blanks....she counted 'em and said, "Hmmm.....$3,300." :oooh:

If you get caught, tell her it was a backordered item from a previous order. Gotta be creative but you can't use that one very often. You can always get a PO Box.....it's cheaper that a Divorce Lawyer 8O

...and a new bass boat is cheaper than a wife? Now you've got me think'en! :?

I just told my wife that I was sellin' 'em on Craig's list for $100 each. :?:nono: When I received my last order of blanks....she counted 'em and said, "Hmmm.....$3,300." :oooh:

Uh-O! That didn't work out right. Also, the Iwata REV HP BR came in and it is worth every penny (all 7200 of them). Compared to my $25.00 Harbor Freight Cheapo, the Iwata is AMAZING! Now I'm gonna have to start buying more blanks, and coming up with more lies to cover the money. I would tell her I have a girl friend on the side, but she'll know thats not true cause I'm always fishing. 8O