twbass

Lip Replacement?

I would check Janns Netcraft or Lurepartsonline.com to see if they have a circuit board lip close to what you need rather than buy a whole 12 inch square piece of material and having to shape a new lip. Cut off the old lip, cut a slot for the new lip, then epoxy it in with 30 minute epoxy (quick set 5 min epoxy will quickly turn brown). If possible, you don't want to cut the new slot so deep that it pierces the air chamber of the bait, but if you do, make sure the epoxy fills any voids so it won't leak. I use a Dremel tool with a thin fiber-reinforced cutoff wheel to do this.

I can guess you're unhappy about breaking a $27 jerkbait, but all is not lost.

Edited by BobP

i repaired one this past november using Gorilla super glue and heatset with butane torch. My buddy stepped on it (thankfully it was his and not mine), but the lip broke off. It was 40F outside, and the smallmouth wanted only that color (and there was only 1 of them) so I gave it an effort at least. That lure has caught nearly 100 fish since then and the lip is still attached and you can't even tell it was repaired.

As far as adding a lip (assuming you don't have the broke off piece), I would try to use some lexan or plexiglass and try to replicate what I mentioned above. I would just shape the lip until it looks like it would fit in place to where the previous one broke.

I would save cutting into the lure as a last resort. Jerkbaits don't like having any additional material (or less) added to them. The megabass is especially picky with weight too.